Go Down

Topic: Serial to Mega2560 (Read 533 times) previous topic - next topic

Gibson486

I am trying to by pass the USB to serial converter chip on the 2560. I see lots of tutorials on how to do it with uno, but I am trying to do it with the 2560. I desoldered RN4 from the board (next to RX LED) and C7 (next to RESET-EN). HOwever, it does not seem to work. I rebuilt the MAX232 (and a I even tried a MAX202) several times. It is still a no go. Am I missing something? It just blinks like it is not even receiving a signal at all.

PaulS

I am trying to by pass the USB to serial converter chip on the 2560.

Why? Only one of the 4 hardware serial ports (Serial) goes through the USB to serial converter. The other three (Serial1, Serial2, and Serial3) do not.

Gibson486

Well, I wanted to upload the programs via serial. I essentially just copied how it was done on Unos. I did not really think about the fact that the 2560 has 4 ports while the Uno has one, which is the reason why people bypassed that USB to serial chip on Unos to begin with. I really do not have to bypass the serial, I guess. Either way, I still cannot get it to upload the program with the arduino IDE....

PaulS

Either way, I still cannot get it to upload the program with the arduino IDE....

Did you solder the resistor and capacitor back on?

Gibson486

Yes, but I still just trying to upload via the ports now....All I have to control is the reset and the 2 serial pins, right?

PaulS

Yes, but I still just trying to upload via the ports now

Which port(s) The bootloader only listens to one of the serial ports (Serial/RX and TX).

Gibson486

I got it working....

turns out that the schematic in the datasheet (MAX 202) is not right for what I needed it for. The cap on pin 2 is shown with the neg side going to the supply. I brought it to ground instead and now it works. That was frustrating.

thanks!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy