Go Down

Topic: Need an air flow generating unit for automatic wind instrument (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterH

How long do you need to operate it for? I'm no musician but I've seen them played and have the impression they need quite a bit of pressure - probably several PSI - which would be hard to generate from a fan. I suspect you could operate it from a balloon for several seconds if you wanted to try that to prove the principle - then your problem would be how to get a pump/fan to generate similar pressure at the required flow rate.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Liepa

How long do you need to operate it for? I'm no musician but I've seen them played and have the impression they need quite a bit of pressure - probably several PSI - which would be hard to generate from a fan. I suspect you could operate it from a balloon for several seconds if you wanted to try that to prove the principle - then your problem would be how to get a pump/fan to generate similar pressure at the required flow rate.

Best case scenario I'd need them to play indefinitely until I turn them off myself. The recorders I have made are of a small scale and require less pressure than regular wind instruments. I am tempted to try out the mini air compressor like this
www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&q=mini+air+compressor&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bpcl=38625945&biw=1846&bih=987&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5286243728415743297&sa=X&ei=YrCqULPdO8a90QWZh4CYAQ&ved=0CH0Q8wIwAw
it produces up to 250 psi so it is strong enough. It might be too loud and I am not sure if I can find a good way to control the pressure of air that it produces.

billroy

Here is a thread that suggests 0-10 psi is the normal human production playing the flute.  It also suggests a small compressor for a similar project:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nativeflutewoodworking/message/35254

-br

Jimmy60

Best case scenario I'd need them to play indefinitely until I turn them off myself. The recorders I have made are of a small scale and require less pressure than regular wind instruments. I am tempted to try out the mini air compressor like this
www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&q=mini+air+compressor&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bpcl=38625945&biw=1846&bih=987&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5286243728415743297&sa=X&ei=YrCqULPdO8a90QWZh4CYAQ&ved=0CH0Q8wIwAw
it produces up to 250 psi so it is strong enough. It might be too loud and I am not sure if I can find a good way to control the pressure of air that it produces.

That is capable of inflating something to 250psi but the air pressure coming out of it is much smaller. It might actually be not to bad for your needs. Your best bet is an air tank, with a regulator on it inflated by a compressor. A regulator is that good way to control the pressure as well as experiment with different pressures. The idea behind a regulator is that you could have tank with 250 psi in it and the regulator would limit it's output to say 10 psi. It will also deliver 10 psi until the tank's pressure dropped below that. I'd also recommend a pump that plugs into mains, the one you linked to really needs a car battery.

Liepa

Thanks everyone for your help, I've done quite valuable googling based on your suggestions and found several other candidate components for my project:

- aquarium air pumps (the ones that produce bubbles) are quiet and cheap but I still have to look out if they are powerful enough

- micro air pumps like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5lRQt77wU) and the ones that are used in medical equipment (http://www.pneumaticschina.com/mini-pumps/micro-diaphragm-pump/dl7bldc-micro-diaphragm-gas-pump.html). One major bonus is that they are quiet.

Did anyone have any experience using those in projects?

That is capable of inflating something to 250psi but the air pressure coming out of it is much smaller. It might actually be not to bad for your needs. Your best bet is an air tank, with a regulator on it inflated by a compressor. A regulator is that good way to control the pressure as well as experiment with different pressures. The idea behind a regulator is that you could have tank with 250 psi in it and the regulator would limit it's output to say 10 psi. It will also deliver 10 psi until the tank's pressure dropped below that. I'd also recommend a pump that plugs into mains, the one you linked to really needs a car battery.

the major problem with those mini air compressors for car tires is that they are extremely loud - as I mentioned before I don't mind some noise but not so much that you can't hear the recorders themselves. From the videos on youtube these air compressors seem very very loud: http://youtu.be/1xq478qeV4Q, http://youtu.be/x9lZbmrBpIY

Go Up