Go Down

Topic: Connecting Arduino Wifi Shield with laptop hotspot (Read 2780 times) previous topic - next topic

husnalraikumar

Hi,

I am trying to connect Arduino wifi shield stacked on a Mega 2560 to hot spot created by a Windows 7 laptop.
I am sorry in advance if this question has been repeated in the forum.

If I use my phone as hotspot, Wifi shield connects with it without any problem. I don't know why it doesn't connect when i create a wireless network on my laptop.

Thank you in advance for the guidance

zoomkat

I've got windows 7 and have never seen anything native to create a wifi hot spot on the computer. Where would one find that info?
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

husnalraikumar

Sorry for the late reply, currently i dont have any access to wifi router and I am using a Wifi shield. so I was planning to connect the wifi shield with the hotspot created by my laptop

PaulS

I was planning to connect the wifi shield with the hotspot created by my laptop

How is your computer creating a hotspot? That seems like an unlikely thing that it is capable of doing.

husnalraikumar

Mar 06, 2013, 05:49 pm Last Edit: Mar 06, 2013, 05:53 pm by husnalraikumar Reason: 1
http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot
and my computer is connected to a modem through a Ethernet cable

SurferTim

Mar 06, 2013, 06:04 pm Last Edit: Mar 06, 2013, 06:28 pm by SurferTim Reason: 1
That is not a hotspot. That is an ad-hoc network. Many devices have problems with those, if you bothered to read the comments at the bottom. Wii devices being one.

edit: Your big challenge with an ad-hoc network is the lack of a dhcp server. AFAIK, there is no way to set a static ip on a Wifi shield. And ad-hoc networks normally do not perform the required masquerade and routing to the ethernet port.

husnalraikumar

Mar 21, 2013, 06:46 pm Last Edit: Mar 21, 2013, 06:48 pm by husnalraikumar Reason: 1
Thank you for replying Tim.
But this thing is bugging me alot that how come the wifi shield is able to scan the hotspot created by my phone but not by my laptop.
Sorry i dont have that much knowledge regarding servers.
Thank you

SurferTim

If your phone is a droid-type, that is a true hotspot, not an ad-hoc network. It will have a dhcp server.

husnalraikumar

So is there any way that i can connect to a laptop wireless network.

SurferTim

Sep 12, 2015, 04:02 pm Last Edit: Sep 12, 2015, 04:07 pm by SurferTim
@henrywilliam171: Can you connect to that wifi network with the wifi shield?

edit: The reason I ask is this statement at the bottom of that page.
Some of the old Android smartphones can't access the Ad-hoc connections. So you cannot use this Wi-Fi hotspot on every device. But most them can connect to it.

zoomkat

Interesting article. Checked my win7 netbook and the feature seems available. Not sure how I would use it. I just checked one of the "pocket" routers I was testing and get the "limited connectivity" for it. Not sure if it would be the same type issue.
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

mauried

Sep 13, 2015, 02:09 am Last Edit: Sep 13, 2015, 02:10 am by mauried
Limited connectivity usually means that your device has connected to a hotspot or wireless router, but hasnt been assigned an IP address, usually because the device that its connected to doesnt have a DHCP server.
A Hotspot created with a ad hoc network device has this problem, unless you can somehow provide the DHCP server.

aditi760

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy