Go Down

Topic: Basic Principal Injecting Voltage? (Read 489 times) previous topic - next topic

cjdelphi

I've always wondered how they added a frequency to carry data or inject a 48v power line to power an arduino via ethernet.

But, what's the rules, i can inject as many AC frequencies providing it's different into an existing being used AC line?

for example, if i decided to power my house from a 22vac low voltage line around the home, what could you "inject" and how? diodes? timing?

Coding Badly

But, what's the rules, i can inject as many AC frequencies providing it's different into an existing being used AC line?

for example, if i decided to power my house from a 22vac low voltage line around the home, what could you "inject" and how? diodes? timing?

Isn't the "power" in Power-over-Ethernet DC?

cjdelphi

Can i inject an AC signal into an existing AC line? eg a data line?

MarkT

For injecting an RF carrier into mains wiring I'm not sure - there are a lot of different standards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication.

For power-over-ethernet the data signal is already balanced and transformer-coupled so you only have to replace certain centre-tap ground-connections with the power rail I believe - although for ether with spare pairs (100Mbit) power can also simply be wired through the spare pairs.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

retrolefty

Can i inject an AC signal into an existing AC line? eg a data line?

Yes. The X-10 standard has been one method used for several decades for sending and receiving signalling information over a typical household AC power wiring to allow remote control of lighting and other consumer devices. Here is a pretty good write up on the method the standard uses and even gives example of interface circuitry that can be used. http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/technote.pdf

Lefty

Docedison

There's also an X 10 Library in the playground and the X 10 modems can be found on Ebay. I bought 3 for about $15.00 Ea.. In an hour, 2 for a project I'm working on and one spare. There are 2 types TW523/PSC06 duplex or TW513/PSC05 simplex. Lefty pointed put that there is an active forum that 'looks' OK with more than a few Arduino users... Too.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy