Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Resistor on frontend or rearend of hardware  (Read 387 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The resistor is found after a push button switch in a circuit.  The resistor is found before in a led or 8 ohm speaker.  How do I know where the resistor would be placed if I were prototyping? smiley-cool

peace*&^

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

The resistor is found after a push button switch in a circuit.  The resistor is found before in a led or 8 ohm speaker.  How do I know where the resistor would be placed if I were prototyping? smiley-cool

It doesn't really matter. Put it after the LED if you want...it'll light up just the same.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

How do I know where the resistor would be placed if I were prototyping?
It is all part of the design knowing if you need a resistor to limit any current on not.
Basically the switch resistor is a pull up or pull down resistor, these are needed.
The arduino can not supply enough current to drive a low impedance speaker, the current must be kept below 40mA. So an 8 ohm speaker would give you a current of 5 / 8 = 625mA if connected up directly. This will damage your arduino. So the maximum load on a pin would be 5 / 0.04 = 125 Ohms, therefore you need a 125 - 8 = 117 ohm resistor in line with an 8 ohm speaker. That is going to make the volume very low, but that is another problem.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Well If the OP made the mistake He'd have to be deaf and blind... No Worries tho... @625 mA that Speaker ain't long for this world.

Bob

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Well If the OP made the mistake He'd have to be deaf and blind... No Worries tho... @625 mA that Speaker ain't long for this world.

Bob

Yeah, a whole 3 watts...deafening!

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: