Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: release 1.0.2 Automatically create libraries folder in the sketchbook  (Read 295 times)
italy
Muuuuu
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

on the release notes v 1.0.2 it is written:
* Automatically create libraries folder in the sketchbook.
  (Paul Stoffregen)
  http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=986
could anyone explain me what this means?
Thanks in advance

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The instructions for installing a library that a use downloads say to put it in the libraries directory of the sketch folder. An amazing number of people can not figure out that that means to create such a directory if it does not exist, or don't know how to do such a thing.

Now, it is no longer necessary for the user to create the directory. It will be created when the sketch folder is created.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

The instructions for installing a library that a use downloads say to put it in the libraries directory of the sketch folder. An amazing number of people can not figure out that that means to create such a directory if it does not exist, or don't know how to do such a thing.

Now, it is no longer necessary for the user to create the directory. It will be created when the sketch folder is created.

While I agree in principle (PC users should understand and know when and how to create folders if required) but I feel the IDE installation should have always automatically created the user libraries folder if it didn't already exist in the users sketch folder when they first added the feature of user library searching for include files. It was silly of them to add that feature but not check and setup the user folder structure needed to support it.

I still remember the bad old days that every time one upgraded the IDE version you had to first save and then manual reinstall any 3rd party libraries one had added to the arduino core library folder, yech.

Lefty

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Nice round number there, lefty.  smiley-cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: