Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Can you fit a L298 and an Ethernet shield on an arduino uno???  (Read 1061 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello friends!  I'm trying to build a little rover, and i want to use two motors for the main drive train.  So i figured i could use a decent sized small motor with the L298 dual-H-bridge, but i still want to control the bot wirelessly.  Do i have enough room on the arduino uno for a ethernet shield too?  Thanks for your time and responses!

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi,

There's quite a few different network shields available for the Uno.  To answer your question best bet is to look at the available pins after the motor shield consumes the ones it needs, and see which of the network shields fits the bill.  Since this is a rover do you really want it to be tied to a network cable though?  If you meant wireless, there are options available for WiFi that only utilise power and the D0/D1 pins which are normally used for serial comms - it's unlikely your motor shield will need these.

Check shieldlist.org for a handy reference.

You'll find many of these shields also will have a choice of pins that can be used for different functions, so it's possible the default setup might not suit.

Cheers ! Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

View Profile

Well, i just thought going from ethernet shield plugs into a router (on the rover) which is connected back to my home router would be a good cost-effective solution.  With things like Xbee or Zigbee that run 40 bucks a piece for decent ranges, and you need two, plus a adapter its just too much.

View Profile

Yes...I think it does, but I might be wrong. Research it, and then if they do not fit together, then you might want to look into the wifi shield for Arduino to see if it fits with the L298. Good luck with your project!

Queens, New York
Faraday Member
"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most" -Ozzy Osbourne
View Profile

Before you go and spend your money on an xbee that you may not be able to use, see what pins are in use by the other shields, and what pins the xbee needs to operate. If anything, get a Bluetooth master and slave module, you can get them on ebay for about 15-20 dollars. OR maybe a RF transceiver again ebay. I have both the BT modules and a RF transceiver, the RF transciever I got for 4 dollars on ebay (B.I.N.).

If you want, you can atleast test your code with a BT or RF and then move onto an xbee or something with more range.

Is this what you have?
http://billwaa.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/arduino-l298-dual-h-bridge-motor-driver/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:11:49 pm by HazardsMind » Logged

Created Libraries:
TFT_Extension, OneWireKeypad, SerialServo, (UPD)WiiClassicController, VWID

View Profile

I was thinking this, but they are pritty much the same https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9670 .   And whats the problem with connecting a wireless router to my home network then just going from ethernet shield to router which wirelessly goes to my home router.  Has anyone had experience with that.  That would be the cheapest route.  Then i would just get a driver station app or something.  But ive been looking for a while and i can find what pins it takes.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I think a wireless router is a cost effective solution for wireless communication. I tinkered some in the past with a router (below) for the wireless communication link (router/arduino/ethernet shield on a bot communicating with a wifi adapter on my laptop). The Netgear 614 wireless router is now only $25 at the local walmart.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

IAnd whats the problem with connecting a wireless router to my home network then just going from ethernet shield to router which wirelessly goes to my home router.  
Hi

There's no problem, just the wireless modules mentioned typically operate on just two Arduino pins, and using Software Serial you can choose to use whichever pins you have available so there's greater flexibility.  I'm not sure you'll be getting out of it cheaper either, granted the eBay modules mentioned can be down to a couple of dollars each postage paid.

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with either option, they're just options.

Cheers ! Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

View Profile

Allright great!  and thanks for everyones responses!  I'm constantly running into one problem though.  Every H-bridge motor shield uses PWM pins 2 and 4.  And the Arduino ethernet shield uses 2 for the 4.0 model, and 4 for the 5.0 model.  What a pain!  Why can you just switch around the digital pins (1-7).

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Allright great!  and thanks for everyones responses!  I'm constantly running into one problem though.  Every H-bridge motor shield uses PWM pins 2 and 4.  And the Arduino ethernet shield uses 2 for the 4.0 model, and 4 for the 5.0 model.  What a pain!  Why can you just switch around the digital pins (1-7).

Can you just connect the h-bridge to the arduino ethernet shield using jumpers to the desired pins without having to plug the shields on top of each other?

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

There is an inbetween shield which enables you to configure the connections between the upper and lower pins, which you could use to move the pin assignments around if you wanted to.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

View Profile

Wow!  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11002 ... This is perfect, no problems at all now!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: