Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Data Acquisition from Vernier to PC.  (Read 850 times)
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Arduino ROCKS!!...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey guys i am doing a small project on Data Acquisition from a vernier Caliper to PC.

i was some what successful in transferring the data from Vernier to Arduino Serial window Screen.
but now i want to transfer my data to a Excel file.

I have used the PLX-DAQ software but i frankly don’t know how to use this software,should we program some where or if we connect directly will it work.

can someone help me out...

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi,

Would you consider writing this with the Processing language?  Only reasons I'd suggest that is it's what the Arduino IDE was apparently inspired by, so the environment is immediately familiar if you're already coding on the Arduino.  Also there's a great series of tutorial videos for getting your Arduino to communicate with a PC using it (by Jeremy Blum) so hopefully it won't be too much of a stretch as you're already writing to the USB port.

I'd suggest writing to a CSV file which Excel will be happy to read from.

Cheers ! Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

If the caliper provides a serial port design for connection to a PC then I would expect the manufacturer to advise how to access the data from a PC, and usually they would also provide a user-friendly application to manage this for you.

Has the manufacturer provided this information and/or software? If so, why not use it?

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Excel has some serial port capabilities but you need to write code in VBA. I did it ages ago but it works. I was able to update a chart live with data from arduino. Google how to do serial port in Excel.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hey guys i am doing a small project on Data Acquisition from a vernier Caliper to PC.

i was some what successful in transferring the data from Vernier to Arduino Serial window Screen.
but now i want to transfer my data to a Excel file.

I have used the PLX-DAQ software but i frankly don’t know how to use this software,should we program some where or if we connect directly will it work.

can someone help me out...

Well I think there are several methods you can use depending on your PC programming skills. I too used PLX-DAQ software a long time ago to import values from an external serial port directly into a Excel worksheet, but it's been some years and I certainly don't remember the details. And as lidur stated Excel has a build in VBA programming language that should be able to link up with a serial port and import values directly, just a matter of learning the programming skills required.
For a 'little' skills required solution you might look into using an PC terminal program (I use Brey terminal, but windows Hyper terminal should work) and have it save the serial data stream from your arduino to a simple text file. Then is a second step just manually import the file into a worksheet as CSV data?

Lefty

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

If I dig up my old project files, I will post here for the OP.

Copenhagen / Denmark
Edison Member
Do it !
View Profile

If you have managed to get the data into your Arduino, the GoBetwino can send it to Excel, or to a CSV file on your PC.

Columbus, GA
Draw It, Build It, Test It, Post It
View Profile

I have great success with the UNO R3 to the serial monitor.  This code actually works without having to learn Process or any other weird libraries.

I a video I think was yours on Youtube...  Can you post the code for your project.  See mine:  supertechqc and on youtube supertechqc.

Does anyone have caliper data code for Leonardo so I can send data in a keyboard function to Excel?

View Profile

Hello Vennishmuthu,

If the caliper provides a interface style for association to a computer then i'd expect the manufacturer to advise a way to access the info from a computer, and frequently they might additionally give a easy application to manage this for you.

Has the manufacturer provided this data and/or thusftware? If so, why not use it?

Best of luck for your future.
Cheers,
Jean wilson

Measuring Tools

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

I was some what successful in transferring the data from Vernier to Arduino
I want to transfer my data to a Excel file.

PLX-DAQ is all you need and it is just a matter of formatting the output from Arduino. The rest of the instructions are quite OK.

Here is some stripped down code.  This is to make a live file in Excel with data/time stamping and some temperature readings. There only two lines that count, labelled here, and here. The real joy of PLX is that it can plot real-time graphs in Excel, but I guess you don't need that!

Code:
void setup() {
  lcd.init();  
  Wire.begin();
  Serial.begin(9600);

Serial.println("LABEL,Time,InTemp,OutTemp,diff,DrainTemp");  // HERE

sensors.setResolution(InThermo, 12);
  sensors.setResolution(OutThermo, 12);
  sensors.setResolution(DrainThermo, 12);

Serial.println("Starting multiple datastream upload to Cosm...");
  Serial.println();
}