Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: PTP for Video Capture on Canon camera?  (Read 875 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I’ve used the USB shield & the PTP EOS (https://github.com/felis/PTP_2.0) library to capture images with my Canon camera.

Now I have a need to start / stop video recording with the same setup.

I realise this is not included in the library yet, but does anyone have any clues to how this may be implemented?

I see http://dslrsystems.com/ have achieved this, but the code is not available from Google code anymore, it’s only available as a .HEX file download.

Any clues?

View Profile

Here is the download with uploader:

http://dslrsystems.com/?page_id=112

View Profile

Yes, I found that, but I need the source for that HEX-code :-)

I'm not going to use Bluetooth & Android, but rather a second Arduino to do the triggering, with a wireless radio between.

Basically, "all" I need is the command to do "eos.start_capture_video" and of course _stop_. (it's probably not that simple, but you get the idea..)

Failing that, a link to the programmers guide..
I can't find the video options in the ability pages for the EOS cameras, and assume they are within the "vendor specific".

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

You didn't say which Canon camera you have, but you might want to look at:

Or alternatively, just have a servo press the appropriate button:

View Profile

Thanks, not bad :-) You triggered me to remember that Magic Lantern supports remapping of the "REC" key. I've remapped it to the "Shutter Half-press", and with a wireless remote I can start video with a key-press.

FYI - I'm using a Canon 550D, and the gig is to remotely shoot video of a sports event, from a location where photographers are not allowed.
The plan is to walk up there in a break, deposit tripod & camera, and then start/stop the video from a different location.

I still have two problems, though..:
1) The solution is not based on an Arduino ;-)
2) I don't have a visual clue from 50 paces that the video is on & the camera is recording.

My plan was to use an Arduino + USB shield to start video, and keep a 2nd Arduino wirelessly updated with the status of the camera.
Hm. I'll bet turning on video creates an identifiable EOSEvent that I can parse & send. Hm. Not as elegant as Plan A, but still. Hm.

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Thanks, not bad :-) You triggered me to remember that Magic Lantern supports remapping of the "REC" key. I've remapped it to the "Shutter Half-press", and with a wireless remote I can start video with a key-press.

FYI - I'm using a Canon 550D, and the gig is to remotely shoot video of a sports event, from a location where photographers are not allowed.

In other words you just admitted that you are planning to film the event illegally.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

In other words you just admitted that you are planning to film the event illegally.

Typically flawed assumption. Perhaps the cam location is at the player's bench, along the sidelines, or on a dangerous racetrack curve where persons are not allowed during a race.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile

There are plenty of locations like that in motorcycle racing.

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

View Profile

Well, Mickey..
In return for jogging my memory, I'll gratify you with an answer.

The sports event is none of your business, but there are no restrictions on photography/video, as is common in Europe, those restrictions are a US exclusive.

One of my daughters competes at a national level in this sport. The best spot is center stage (center mat), but unfortunately that's where the judges are sitting.

So a camera with a 14mm, placed in front of the judges, below their line of sight, is the sweet spot.

Which is why a visual indicator is not a good idea, it would distract the judges. Hence the radio need & the need for distance. 'Cause I'm busy taking pictures from the next-best-spot.

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Well, Mickey..
In return for jogging my memory, I'll gratify you with an answer.

The sports event is none of your business, but there are no restrictions on photography/video, as is common in Europe, those restrictions are a US exclusive.

One of my daughters competes at a national level in this sport. The best spot is center stage (center mat), but unfortunately that's where the judges are sitting.

So a camera with a 14mm, placed in front of the judges, below their line of sight, is the sweet spot.

Which is why a visual indicator is not a good idea, it would distract the judges. Hence the radio need & the need for distance. 'Cause I'm busy taking pictures from the next-best-spot.
The way I read your statement was photography was not allowed where you wanted to place your camera.  Thus if you place a camera there and photograph, you are breaking the rules of the venue.  It might not illegal per se, but you are still going against the rules.  Sometimes this is justified, sometimes not.  Sometimes petty officials will do things like take your camera if they find it.

If you feel that you can place your camera there, you could always rig up a remote video setup that takes the live view from your camera and feeds it into a wireless video feed that you have the monitor where you are standing.  You might want to consider pan and tilt servos to change the angle of view (and another servo to zoom in/out) or not, because such things might break, leaving you with no shots.

If you could run a wire, using DSLR commander on an Android or Apple phone would be another option.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The way I read your statement was photography was not allowed where you wanted to place your camera.

There is a difference between "photographers" and "photography".

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: