Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: arduino with wiimote? where to start?  (Read 617 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

ive tried the circuits at home stuff but i cant find a bluetooth that works. My main goal is to get an arduino to turn a light on based on how a wiimote is tilted. where would i start to work with it?

Queens, New York
Faraday Member
"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most" -Ozzy Osbourne
View Profile

try these.
http://gitorious.org/randomstuff

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=118221.0

The internet is your friend...most times. smiley-mr-green

Created Libraries:
NPV2 (NewPasswordV2),  TFT_Extension, OneWireKeypad, SerialServo.
Will provide libraries if asked in PM or forum.

View Profile

Cool project!

Inside the remote is an accelerometer that communicates with the Wii through bluetooth. To receive the signal, you will have to purchase a bluetooth shield for Arduino available online or at some Radio Shacks. Does it have to be a Wii remote? You could purchase an accelerometer at Radio Shack and make your own controller circuit...Anyway, here is some info on the bluetooth communication:

"It is built around a Broadcom BCM2042 bluetooth System-on-a-chip, and contains multiple peripherals that provide data to it, as well as an expansion port for external add-ons. The Wii Remote uses (and, at times, abuses) the standard Bluetooth HID protocol to communicate with the host, which is directly based upon the USB HID standard. As such, it will appear as a standard input device to any Bluetooth host. However, the Wii Remote does not make use of the standard data types and HID descriptor, and only describes its report format length, leaving the actual contents undefined, which makes it useless with standard HID drivers (but some Wiimote Drivers exist). The Wii Remote actually uses a fairly complex set of operations, transmitted through HID Output reports, and returns a number of different data packets through its Input reports, which contain the data from its peripherals."

This link might help:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote#Bluetooth_Communication

Good luck with your project!!  smiley-grin

View Profile

thanks for the replys i was wondering if i could use to wii and pair it with a bluetooth shield what you guys gave seem to b hooking up the wii to the arduino or a bluetooth dongle with a host shield

Queens, New York
Faraday Member
View Profile

thanks for the replys i was wondering if i could use to wii and pair it with a bluetooth shield what you guys gave seem to b hooking up the wii to the arduino or a bluetooth dongle with a host shield

Can you make that clearer?

Created Libraries:

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

If you want help, you need to learn to talk in english, especially if it's your native language.
If it's not, at least learn to use a few commas and periods.

View Profile

Sorry about that.  Ok what I basicly want, is to use a bluetooth shield to pair with a wiimote and send the axis info to the arduino, after that turn the light on based on the angle of the wiimote. Does that make a little more sence?

Queens, New York
Faraday Member
View Profile

Much better. Yes and those links should get you started. As for BT shields that can communicate with the Wii controller, that you may need to shop around. I have seen a USB shield with BT dongle work with a Wii remote, but as for the code, I dont know where to find it.

Im sure this forum has plenty of Wii remote topics to chose from, so do a search and go from there.

Created Libraries:

View Profile

thank you for your response, ill start there and go from there thanks again ill keep searching lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: