Go Down

Topic: ENC28J60 Bootloader (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

schilvers

hi guys.

new to the forum but had to join to ask this possibly simple question to someone at least. My goal is to find a bootloader for the arduino (ATMEGA328) and ENC28J60 ethernet controller. I have found numerous ones for the wiznet controller and have used them! but only one uncompiled version exists (here http://code.google.com/p/avr-etherboot/) for the ENC28J60 and AVR's. I manged to download it and have downloaded the latest WINAVR and i have compiled a hex file. i have also manged to place the hex file on the arduino using an uno as a ISP running the isp software. i know the isp works as i have flashed the chip before to the arduino bootloader from a stock chip. so does anyone know where to get a compiled hex that works? or could you tell me where i am going wrong? the bootloader does come with a epp file that it asks to you place in the eprom of the chip i have no idea how to do this but i did modify the bootloader to use mac,ip adresses i programmed into it rather than reading from the eprom.

any help would be welcomed

thanks

focalist

All you need is the library.  The device has it's own internal software and bootloader, and cannot be changed.  Google the device on the web, or in this forum, it's a simple device with a few drawbacks- but they are cheap and work well for what they are...
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

schilvers

maybe i didnt explain very clearly. i have no issues using the arduino and the ENC28J60 for normal operation. ie you use the standard arduino bootloader and download your compliled sketch files using the usb lead. what i want is a ethernet bootloader like ones for the wiznet chip that allow you to download your sketch via TFTP remotley. i have googled for days and the only one i could find was the uncomplied one i listed in my first post.

focalist

Ah.. I'd be impressed to see it, actually- the ENC setup is quite a bit more limited than the Wiznet.  I've got an ENC and it's great for simple stuff- though I suppose there isn't anything that couldn't be done.  It's SPI as I remember, so maybe finding a bootloader that boots from SPI and set up the module as a transparent "virtual serial"?
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

pylon

From avr-etherboot which device did you choose? Have you changed the configuration (config.h)? If yes, post that file.

Go Up