Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using analog inputs powered by external battery  (Read 580 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I am working with the Pololu Infared Beacon which is powered by 10 volt which is supplied by a battery.

The infared beacon provides 4 possible analog output signals (each being either 5V or 0V).

The arduino is currently powered through a USB connection and I am connecting the 4 analog signals from the infared beacon to 4 analog inputs on the board.

I am using arduino mega.

Question is.. I assume that the ground from the 10 volt battery needs to be connected to somewhere on the arduino board. I'm not too familiar with Arduino.

Should the ground be connected to the AREF pin?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

No, it should be connected to the pin marked "gnd"

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

...each being either 5V or 0V...

Then they are digital signals, not analog signals.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Jump to: