Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Fried arduino  (Read 436 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi there,

I accidently made a short circuit providing 20V AC to an analog input pin on my arduino.
As a result a small chip on it exploded.
I'm talking about an arduino UNO Rev3.
When i look here http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-a-fried-Arduino-Mega/ its nog my voltage regulater or my over current protector thats destroyed.

It are the 2 chips on the left side of the ATMega.
As an attatchment you can see the damage.
When i plug it into my PC both the lights Tx and Rx light up, but not the "on" light.
When i hold the reset button Rx, Tx and "on" are lit up.
My arduino isn't recognized by the sotware either.

Is there anyway to fix this?

greets

EDIT: the broken parts are: 09T1RSR, and the LPFL seen here: http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoUno_R3_Front.jpg

* 2012-11-22 15.09.39.jpg (2830.84 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 27 times.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:33:25 am by Holox » Logged

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

As an attatchment you can see the damage.
No, I personally can't.  The picture is difficult to see when it is small and very blurry when it is big.

EDIT: the broken parts are: 09T1RSR, and the LPFL seen here: http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoUno_R3_Front.jpg
LMV358IDGKR (marked 09T1R5R) is U5 the op-amp which is part of the power selector circuit
The chip marked LPFL is U2 which is the 3V3 regulator.

Don't make the incorrect assumption those are the only two components have suffered damaged.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

View Profile

I tried making a new picture, this one is a little better i think.

Don't make the incorrect assumption those are the only two components have suffered damaged.

How can I know know which components suffered damage as well?

* 2012-11-22 18.10.39 V2.png (953.42 KB, 816x612 - viewed 26 times.)

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

How can I know know which components suffered damage as well?
Just because it works today doesn't mean it is damaged either.  Without parametrically testing each component, you really can't be sure what has been damaged.

Given that you actually blew a couple of components, none of which are in the direct path of the analog inputs, you may want to consider this an expensive lesson.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

View Profile

Well, I'll try and replace the two visible broken components and hope it works.

Yeah I think I learned my lesson.
I was rather carefull, builded the high power AC circuit and didn't connect any wires from arduino to it. Unfortunatly i already had my wires ready sticking out of the arduino and one wire in the bunch touched a conducting wire resulting in a flash.

So it's kind of a "clutter related accident"

Thanks for your fast reply and i'll keep you posted if i'm able to fix it smiley

Have a nice day

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: