Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Zener diode protection question  (Read 570 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've got a board that I'd like to protect some 3V3 peripherals from accidently getting fried by 5V from some bonehead (might be me) misconfiguring jumpers. What's a good value for the current limiting resistor to put behind the zener to ground? 50 Ohms? I'm thinking 3V3 rail -> zener -> resistor -> gnd.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

View Profile

Check this link http://www.calculatoredge.com/electronics/zener.htm for the caluculator

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

Actually, I'd think you could get by with just using nominal 330 ohms series Rs in the
I/O lines. That will limit the max current into the pins to (5V - 3.3V)/330 = 5 mA,
which will probably not overwhelm the built-in clamping protection diodes on the I/O
lines.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

What's a good value for the current limiting resistor to put behind the zener to ground?
Not sure that is the right place. The Zener goes from input to ground, the resistor goes from input to what you are connecting it to. A value of 330R is good as that limits the current to 10mA. The cases where you made the pin an output, set it high, and then had a switch short it out to ground.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:22:02 pm by Grumpy_Mike » Logged

Europe
View Profile

also pay attention to zener diode temperature characteristics  smiley-twist

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: