Go Down

Topic: Detect smart phones in 30m circle (Read 85 times) previous topic - next topic

Apr 23, 2015, 10:36 am Last Edit: Apr 23, 2015, 10:40 am by Ervin1989
Hello everybody!

Is it possible to detect cell phones(maybe it's type iphone, android etc) with Arduino + any Arduino compatible shield. I mean i would like to count the number of cell phones in a 15 - 40 meter radius circle on street?
Or is there any home made( cheap  :)  ) solution to achieve this?

Thank you for answers.

johnwasser

The way to detect all powered-up cellphones is to listen in on the cellular networks.  I don't think that will be  either cheap or easy.  To get any information about the phone you will need to listen in on and decode the cellular protocols.  That is less cheap and less easy.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

robtillaart

You can provide an open wifi network and check how many log in automatically.
Many stores do that to track the customers revisiting.

What is your purpose of your project?
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

jremington

Apr 23, 2015, 05:07 pm Last Edit: Apr 23, 2015, 05:08 pm by jremington
In the U.S. and presumably most other countries, the police have an interesting cell phone surveillance device known as the Stingray, among other names.

It emulates a cell tower and can take over any phones in the vicinity, plus indicate the direction to them. For years this was a fairly well kept secret, but you can read more about it here. Keep your phone turned off when you don't want the police snooping through it.

It is not cheap.

Robin2

Whatever about the complexities of detecting phones I can't imagine any system that would allow you to detect how far away they are unless they are connected to GPS and are programmed to send you their location.

...R

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy