Go Down

Topic: Will This LCD Display Work With An Arduino? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Would that LCD Display work with an arduino?
Does anybody have a better suggestion for an LCD?

I am new to the arduino and don't know what to look for

Judging from the third datasheet at the link you provided it looks like a standard 'character mode' LCD using an HD77780 compatible controller.  Take a look at http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/LCD for programming ideas.

I would just make sure you know how you are planning on connecting the pins on this LCD.  I have a couple of LCD panels, some with a single row of pins, and one that has two rows of pins like this one.  The single row is a lot easier to breadboard and experiment with than the ones that have two rows of pins.

Thank you both!
I have chosen an identical LCD except for its pins are in a single row.

Would this work to connect the LCD to the arduino or a breadboard?

Would this work to connect the LCD to the arduino or a breadboard?

A header strip like that would be good for connection to a breadboard.  

Ran Talbott

If you're going to be doing a lot of tinkering,  you should also become familiar with The Miracle of Buying Stuff SurplusTM   ;)

Like a similar LCD and header pins for less than half the price.  Now,  there's a good chance that the reason the LCD is surplus is that it's an older model,  with contrast that's not quite as good as the one from Digi-Key,  and backlighting LEDs that aren't as bright.  But that's not always true:  quite often you get stuff that's current,  purchased from someone who made a bad guess about What The People Want and went belly-up.

A few other excellent dealers,  who've been in business for many years,  are Alltronics,  All Electronics,  Electronic Goldmine,  and Marlin P Jones.  Another really fun place to shop for odd mechanical bits and materials is American Science and Surplus:  even if you never buy anything from them,  the catalog is a hoot to read.

This really ought to be in a FAQ somewhere.

Jul 03, 2009, 02:58 am Last Edit: Jul 03, 2009, 03:07 am by Guci22 Reason: 1
Thank you very much! I will order from them next time because I already ordered from Digi-Key. I was a little biased as Digi-key is relatively local for me.

EDIT: I checked WOT on the BGmicro site and it returned dangerously low scores though.
Have you had good experiences with them?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131