Go Down

Topic: LCD shield - understand the mapping between Arduino and shield pins (Read 865 times) previous topic - next topic

dan_plan

Nov 23, 2012, 10:27 pm Last Edit: Nov 23, 2012, 10:43 pm by dan_plan Reason: 1
Hi.

I hope you can see the image I have attached.

I bought a LCD shield, compatible with the DFRobot LCD Keypad Shield. Then I attached this shield to my Arduino Uno board.

I was trying to figure out how to access the Arduino pins through the shield, therefore I make a sketch that makes a led on digital pin 3 blink.

The system works if I connect the jumper wire to the spot marked with A in the picture, as expected, as that is the pin directly inserted into the Arduino header.

Then, I tried to attach the wire to the hole marked with B, as that is next to A, but the system didn't work. I had to insert the jumper wire as shown in the picture.

To me, that is totally counterintuitive as the hole I am using is next to pin 4 of Arduino, not pin 3.

Am I missing something? How could I have anticipated that? Is there a standard for how shields map Arduino pins?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Dan

liudr

Where did you buy that shield? Does the seller provide a schematic?

dan_plan

Thanks liudr for your help.

I bought it on eBay from a supplier based in Hong Kong.

Yes, I found the schematics - I have attached it.

But I can't find it in there how I could find out about the issue I am talking about - don't you need the PCB layout to see that? - sorry I am a newbie.

floresta

Nov 24, 2012, 01:37 am Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012, 01:39 am by floresta Reason: 1
Yes, I found the schematics - I have attached it.

That's more like a wiring diagram than a schematic (regardless of how they name the file).

I was trying to figure out how to access the Arduino pins through the shield, therefore I make a sketch that makes a led on digital pin 3 blink.

According to that diagram, near the upper left corner, Arduino digital pin 3 (D3) is connected to pin 4 of J5 on the shield.

... don't you need the PCB layout to see that?

A photo of the shield might provide the information.

Don

floresta

I bought a LCD shield, compatible with the DFRobot LCD Keypad Shield.

That looks more like a "Cytron LCD Keypad Shield for Arduino" but D3 goes to pin 4 of J5 on that board as well.
http://www.cytron.com.my/usr_attachment/LCDKeypad%20Shield%20SCH.pdf

Don

liudr

Apart from the pin layout, you should solder some female pins on the board to have some reliable connections.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy