Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATtiny45 TinyDebugSerial wont compile  (Read 1535 times)
UK
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm having a compiling issue with TinyDebugSerial

I have searched the forums but can't seem to find the answer (this was the closest, http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,123388.0.html)

I  can get the SoftwareSerial working fine but I can't get TinyDebugSerial to compile.

The error is
tiny_serial:5: error: 'TinyDebugSerial' does not name a type
tiny_serial.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
tiny_serial:9: error: 'mySerial' was not declared in this scope
tiny_serial.cpp: In function 'void loop()':
tiny_serial:15: error: 'mySerial' was not declared in this scope
tiny_serial.cpp: At global scope:
tiny_serial:20: error: function definition does not declare parameters

I have the arduino tiny library installed under hardware and TinyDebugSerial.h is in there
I'm convinced this an error on my MAC rather than an arduino issue.

Can anyone confirm if this compiles please.

The code is this.

#include <TinyDebugSerial.h>
// Definitions
#define rxPin 2
#define txPin 0

TinyDebugSerial mySerial = TinyDebugSerial();

void setup()
{
  mySerial.begin(9600);
}
void loop()
{
   mySerial.print("test");
  delay(1000);
}

Denmark
Edison Member
Happy Hobbyist
View Profile

If you use this core:

http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/ the TinyDebugSerial is part of the core.

Example

Code:

void setup() {                
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
 Serial.println(" Loop\n");
}

You can use baud rates 9600, 38400 and 115200

The TX pin is PB3

Another possibility, is to use TinyISP. This is much easyer, because you don't have to swap connections from programmer to serial/usb connectors.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,123388.30.html

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:32:55 am by Erni » Logged

UK
View Profile

Erni

As always thanks for the response.

I found the issue and this may be useful to others.
When I extracted the http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/ I created the directory "hardware" and copied the folder into it and closed and reopened Arduino.
The problem was MAC OSX created a folder called "arduino-tiny-0100-0015" with the Tiny library sat inside (folder name is the zip name)

e.g
hardware/arduino-tiny-0100-0015/arduino-tiny/tiny etc....

However when I restarted  and checked under Tools>Board none of the Tiny Library boards where there.
So I dropped the Library down one level
e.g
hardware/arduino-tiny/tiny etc....

Restarted and now it all works fine.

I assume there is some limit on the amount of directories before Arduino stops looking?

Also for those who get garbled text when they get this working I haven't been able to get any of my Uno or Due boards to display clear text so i have just hooked up and FTDI (USB to Serial board) and it works fine.

Has anybody else had success using the Uno board (pin0) as the RS232 interface?

Enri

Again thanks for the prompt in the right direction.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Has anybody else had success using the Uno board (pin0) as the RS232 TTL-serial interface?

Yes but, if you use an Arduino as the programmer, there is an easier way.  Start reading about here...
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,123388.msg930061.html#msg930061

UK
View Profile

Coding Badly

Thanks for the reply & this look likes the ideal solution.

I had a read then downloaded the master and dropped it into the library as TinyISP (MAC OSX IDE 1.01)
If I compile I get a lot of errors, before I continue  I assume it works with 1.01?

TinyISP/KnockBangParser.cpp.o: In function `TinyDebugKnockBangParserClass::process()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangParser.cpp:51: multiple definition of `TinyDebugKnockBangParserClass::process()'
KnockBangParser.cpp.o:KnockBangParser.cpp:51: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangParser.cpp.o:/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangParser.cpp:51: multiple definition of `TinyDebugParser'
KnockBangParser.cpp.o:KnockBangParser.cpp:51: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::setMode(AispLEDClass::mode_t)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:94: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::setMode(AispLEDClass::mode_t)'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:94: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::update()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:108: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::update()'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:108: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::flash()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:77: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::flash()'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:77: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::error()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:66: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::error()'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:66: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::begin(unsigned char)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:53: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::begin(unsigned char)'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:53: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:94: multiple definition of `StatusIndicator'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:94: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Monitor.cpp.o: In function `monitor_run(unsigned char&)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Monitor.cpp:123: multiple definition of `monitor_run(unsigned char&)'
TinyISP_Monitor.cpp.o:TinyISP_Monitor.cpp:123: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_toggle_hold_in_reset()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:820: multiple definition of `programmer_toggle_hold_in_reset()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:820: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_error_occurred()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:857: multiple definition of `programmer_error_occurred()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:857: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_release_target_from_reset()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:829: multiple definition of `programmer_release_target_from_reset()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:829: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_hold_target_in_reset()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:852: multiple definition of `programmer_hold_target_in_reset()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:852: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_reset_target()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:834: multiple definition of `programmer_reset_target()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:834: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_toggle_hold_in_reset()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:820: multiple definition of `param'
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_process_command(unsigned char)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:689: multiple definition of `programmer_process_command(unsigned char)'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:689: first defined here
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:820: multiple definition of `programmer_active'
TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o: In function `spi_begin()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp:67: multiple definition of `spi_begin()'
TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o:TinyISP_SPI.cpp:67: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o: In function `spi_end()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp:102: multiple definition of `spi_end()'
TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o:TinyISP_SPI.cpp:102: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o: In function `spi_send':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp:120: multiple definition of `spi_transaction(unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)'
TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o:TinyISP_SPI.cpp:120: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o: In function `spi_transaction2(unsigned long)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp:183: multiple definition of `spi_transaction2(unsigned long)'
TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o:TinyISP_SPI.cpp:183: first defined here

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I had a read then downloaded the master and dropped it into the library as TinyISP (MAC OSX IDE 1.01)

It's a sketch not a library.  Move it up one directory level (move it to the sketchbook directory).

If I compile I get a lot of errors, before I continue  I assume it works with 1.01?

Yes (just verified).

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

If you use this core:

http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/ the TinyDebugSerial is part of the core.

Are there any instructions for installing that core? I couldn't find any.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Denmark
Edison Member
Happy Hobbyist
View Profile

Are there any instructions for installing that core?

Yes, it is in the readme.txt file

UK
View Profile

Coding Badly

FYI I moved the sketch and it compiled OK, Thanks.
Also the README is Zero Byte

* Screen Shot 2012-11-26 at 22.16.55.png (125.81 KB, 695x420 - viewed 49 times.)

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

FYI I moved the sketch and it compiled OK, Thanks.

Excellent.  You are welcome.

Also the README is Zero Byte

Thank you for letting me know about the possible problem.

I have not taken the time to compose a README and Github requires one.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I did find a readme file after more searching, it was in one of the subdirectories of the zip. I was expecting to find documentation on the github page or in the root directory of the zip, which is why I didn't find it initially. However, after trying another attiny core (from MIT I think) and being alarmed by the compiler warnings that it evoked, I decided to use AVR Studio 6 instead. I didn't want unnecessary port drivers cluttering up the memory anyway, so I think this was a good choice for me.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

UK
View Profile

Coding Badly

The Sketch works perfectly, this will certainly save some time.

Thanks for the great work.

Rob

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

The Sketch works perfectly, this will certainly save some time.

Excellent.

If you like Tiny Debug Serial + Serial Relay you'll really like Knock-Bang!  All the benefits of Serial, faster more reliable communications, less Flash, and uses a pin already connected to the Uno.  It's actually small enough to be useful with the ATtiny13 processor.

Thanks for the great work.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: