Go Down

Topic: Burn Bootloader to ATmega 8-16PU using an Arduino Uno (Read 3047 times) previous topic - next topic

Kenny_ken

Hi guys,

I hope this isn't considered as crossposting, I already posted my problem to the German speaking section of the board. If so, I am sorry for that.

I am stuck since days on a problem with my ATmega 8.

I want to burn the bootloader to it, using the Arduino Uno V3 as a programmer. So, I first uploaded the ArduinoISP sketch, then chose Arduino as ISP, changed the board to Arduino NG with ATmega 8, connected the ATmega 8 on a breadboard to the right connections (The AT 8 is wired correctly with a 16 MHz Crystal), then clicked on Burn Bootloader. My problem is, I get an error message instantly from AVRdude. After clicking on Burn bootloader for a second time, it takes a while untill I get another error message.

I read that you need to use a 220 Ohm Resistor from reset to 5V, but only on a Arduino Duemilanove, but I'm using an Arduino Uno REV 3. I once programmed an ATtiny 45 which needed a 10uF electrolytic capacitor from reset to ground, so I did this aswell, but it didn't help - Still the same Error messages.

I don't know what to do, I tried everything but I can't get the bootloader on the ATmega 8 :(

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance! :)
If Chuck Norris sees a Antilope driving a car, it's NOT Chuck Testa.

simplex

If you want to program a stand alone target AVR, with an arbitrary code (including a bootloader), just follow this tutorial:
http://pdp11.byethost12.com/AVR/ArduinoAsProgrammer.htm

DirtBiker

Nov 24, 2012, 09:25 pm Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012, 09:28 pm by DirtBiker Reason: 1
@Kenny_ken,

I just tried what you described with a new ATmega8-16PU and it worked just fine.  Make sure all your connections are made properly like in the tutorial simplex mentions.  It should work.

I long ago gave up the jumper wire method and got myself a little shield that makes it a pleasure.  This is the one I use: http://aztecmcu.com/catalog/i105.html

Its just so much easier than trying to debug the rat's nest each time it goes wrong.

Edit: BTW, what is the error message you are getting?
Dirt Biker

Kenny_ken

If you want to program a stand alone target AVR, with an arbitrary code (including a bootloader), just follow this tutorial:
http://pdp11.byethost12.com/AVR/ArduinoAsProgrammer.htm

Wow! Thank you SO much! I finally got it! It was just the reset pin just as I thought. I just connected pin 10 from my Uno (Reset) directly to the reset pin of the ATmega 8, and it worked fine! I followed another tutorial and used capacitors and resistors for that - But just with a plain jumper wire from pin 10 to pin 1 (reset) worked fine!

Thanks!  :%
If Chuck Norris sees a Antilope driving a car, it's NOT Chuck Testa.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy