Go Down

Topic: Is my Arduino broken? [serial port already in use problem] (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic

Sacman

This happens to me all the time in WinXP. If I have one Arduino attached and I have been programming then all is ok. If I use that same port for something else and then forget to plug in the arduino before trying to send a program, I get that error. Plugging the Arduino back in never works. The only way I've been able to clear it is to reboot. It has always gone away. 

So I agree that it is an OS problem. You may have actually made it worse by clearing the registry. Try using another usb port. You may have to reinstall the drivers.

Luck,

Wade

senti

I tried using another USB.
I've also reinstalled drivers :/ even couple of times

Guess what, now the new problem appeared. I tried to program Arduino on another computer (just the 'blink' example) and I got the same error i used to have on my netbook (belive me, everything needed was done to program it). Now I'm seriously thinking it's Ardu's fault :/

PaulS

Now I'm seriously thinking it's Ardu's fault :/

Fine. End your frustration. Just put the Arduino back in its box and forget about it.

It can't possibly tie up the PC end of the serial port, but, if you want to blame the Arduino, go ahead.

PM me, and I'll send you an address. You can send me the Arduino for my collection.

lesto

Nov 26, 2012, 12:40 pm Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012, 12:43 pm by lesto Reason: 1
"port in use" is a Operative System fault, your PC didn't even tried to communicate with arduino. if the same problem is on the netbook, and the netbook has the c# program, then probably it doesn't shut down properly and so it doesn't remove lock on serial port.

Technically Serial protocol doesn't have a way to tell if the bus is occupied, because there should be only one thing on the bus. the lock is a way to prevent program that try to share the same serial with catastrophic fail (shared serial buffer)

edit: take a look here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/148519-35-application-port, maybe a malware, maybe some phone/bluethoot/modem software, maybe microsoft ActiveScan

@PaulS: why so rude?
sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

senti

Nov 26, 2012, 04:34 pm Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012, 04:39 pm by senti Reason: 1
@PaulS: After looking at your number of posts i thought your statement would be helpful or useful. In return, it was just poor demonstration of failed irony. I think showing off is not a reason this forum was created for.

@lesto: Thanks for your interest in my problem. I went through the url you had given. I tried the "serial" in Process Explorer. Nothing found.
I don't have Microsoft ActiveSync on my computer too. The url's methods didn't help, but it was worth trying:)

"port in use" is a Operative System fault, your PC didn't even tried to communicate with arduino. if the same problem is on the netbook, and the netbook has the c# program, then probably it doesn't shut down properly and so it doesn't remove lock on serial port.

C# Program closes serial connection every time it is closed itself. But it doesn't even matter, yesterday, before i wrote the post i had been trying to program Arduino on my brother's computer without this program even on disc space.

Tomorrow my friend will lend me his Arduino Uno. If an error appear while programming, that will mean it is the OS problem.

Go Up