Go Down

Topic: ArduinoISP Arduino uno & blank atmega8 bootloader burn trouble (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

If you don't use a crystal or ceramic resonator on your atmel mcu, then the clock frequency will very probably not be accurate enough for the bootloader to work even if you do manage to burn it. However, you can still use ArduinoISP to upload your sketch directly, without a bootloader. See http://miscsolutions.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/prototyping-small-embedded-projects-with-arduino/ for how I used to do it before I purchased an AVRISPmkII.

Good point. And now that the IDE has a 'upload using programmer' option one can really easily live without messing with bootloaders at all. And seeing that an arduino board running the arduinoISP sketch becomes a hardware programmer, there is a lot to be said for just not messing with bootloaders.

Just think your mega boards won't suffer if you want to use the WDT or if your compiled code happens to have a !!! string for random data in it, it won't hang the upload. One could make a good argument to 'just say no' when the subject of bootloaders come up.  :D

Lefty

mysteredding

Follow this tutorial:
http://pdp11.byethost12.com/AVR/ArduinoAsProgrammer.htm
Replace the atmega328p with your atmega8 and do not add any crystal and capacitors.

By doing so you can burn any code you like in your atmega8, including a bootloader if you really want to write one. In most cases, for stand alone applications, the bootloader is not necessary.

ive been to that page (which i said not to link) and it failed with same errors, try again and this time READ MY POST

Nick Gammon

i cant believe this 9500 character limit so i had to split it into 7 posts, please go forth and read

You can attach files to your post you know. Making 7 posts just to attach files is a mis-use of the forum. You can attach multiple files, or make a single .zip file.

please for the love of god DO NOT "LINK" TUTORIALS just lay out what i need to do HERE

If there is a tutorial, that explains what to do, why should it be copied and pasted here, when you just have to go to a link? The tutorial might have photos, etc.

mysteredding

i cant believe this 9500 character limit so i had to split it into 7 posts, please go forth and read

You can attach files to your post you know. Making 7 posts just to attach files is a mis-use of the forum. You can attach multiple files, or make a single .zip file.

please for the love of god DO NOT "LINK" TUTORIALS just lay out what i need to do HERE

If there is a tutorial, that explains what to do, why should it be copied and pasted here, when you just have to go to a link? The tutorial might have photos, etc.
ive never used forums before and so i didnt know you could attach files, as for the linking im just tired of sifting thru bullshit just to find out it didnt work, i just want short simple answers to whats wrong

AWOL

OP, please DO NOT hit the "report to moderator" control again.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up