Go Down

Topic: 12v > 5v linear scaled voltage divider (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I want to use a rf pwm dimmer that only works at 12v (~8-13v range when measured using a dc voltmeter), as an analog input to an arduino. This will be used to dim several buckpucks attached to digital outputs. I understand some kind of voltage division is necessary.

Its for a backup led light system, and the dimmer will be powered by a stable 12v dc, provided by a sepic converter (since the sla will kick out anywhere from 11-14v). Now, keeping this as simple as possible, can i just use a pot on the output of the dimmer to bring the output down to 5v, while keeping a linear 0-5v range to use as an input to the arduino?

Well, i just tested this with a 1k ohm pot, and it seems to work fantastically. I adjusted it to kick out 0-5v on the pot center pin to the 0-5 ref, ground and positive are attached to the 12v out on my rf dimmer, and the ground for the pot is wired to led - on the buckpuck. All i need to do is wire the pot output to the arduino input, and i can use that to scale the pwm output on the digital arduino outputs. Pretty simple  :D.

One question though, for the 0-5v ref out, coming from the pot center pin to the arduino analog in, do i need to ground the pot ground to the arduino instead of led - on the buckpuck, or both? What pin if so?

I would recommend a voltage divider that splits in [1:2]

GND -----[10K] ------(Arduino)-------[20K] ----- 12V+-2 DImmer.

If the dimmer fluctuates to 15 VOlt the arduino wil get 5 Volt, at 12 Volt the Arduino will get 4 Volt which still has 800 analog steps

30K at max 15Volt ==> max 0.5mA
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131