Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: SOLVED: Wiring of 6 pots to Arduino  (Read 154 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

I'm making a control box with 6x10k linear potentiometers. I have checked that they are all 10k and working.

I have daisy chained them together with all + legs and all - legs connected. The problem is now that when I check the resistence over the plus and minus leg of any pot, the resistance is only 2 kOhm. And the value from minus to signal leg varies in a parabola starting from 0 going to 3.2 kOhm and down to around 2 kOhm.

I have a hard time understanding why this is and I don't think that this setup would give the desired result...

I have attached a picture of the soldering. I checked all connections for continuity and all is good.

I would of course then attach a single + and - wire to the arduino and the signal wire form each pot to the analog inputs.

* foto.JPG (114.69 KB, 640x480 - viewed 12 times.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:19:51 pm by zenseidk » Logged

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I have a hard time understanding why this is
No problem just google resistors in parallel.
It will work fine.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have daisy chained them together with all + legs and all - legs connected. The problem is now that when I check the resistence over the plus and minus leg of any pot, the resistance is only 2 kOhm.

That's because you're measuring them when they're all connected together in parallel.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

When you connect them to +5 & Gnd, they all still return the desired Voltage reading tho, yes? That's all the analog input cares about.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Hi all,

Yes, I realise that resistors in parallel is not 10kOhm, but 1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3+...1/Rn), but when I measure from GND to signal I also don't get 10 kOhm, but rather the parabola I wrote about before. And that is what I don't understand... I would expect to still have 0 to 10 kOhm when measuring from GND to signal.

Or am I mistaken on that?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

And that is what I don't understand... I would expect to still have 0 to 10 kOhm when measuring from GND to signal.
Your expectations are wrong.

Forget measuring resistance, power it up and measure the voltage on the wiper they will all go from 0 to 5V.

In fact the value of the pot does not matter all that matters is that they go between the rails. I often use 24K pots because they were the cheapest when it came to purchasing them in bulk.

View Profile

Using that many pots, dont forget decoupling caps.  smiley Will allow you to use higher resistance pots and all.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:43:08 pm by iyahdub » Logged

10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

How can you get 10K when you have the equivalent of a 2K resistor (from the other 10Ks in parallel) across the legs of your 10K resistor?
You have the equivalent of this:
-------------------
|        |
> 2K     > 5K
<        <
|        |
|        |---
|        |
|        > 5K
|        <
|        |
--------------
with your pot at mid scale.
So measuring between junction of the 2 5K pots and a leg is like
measuring a 5K in parallel with a 7K
= 1/(1/5000 + 1/7000) = ~2.9K

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

All right, I give :-)

I have connected it up and everything works... Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: