TextLCD lcd(p15, p16, p17, p18, p19, p20); // rs, e, d4-d7

int main() {
    lcd.printf("Hello World!\n");
}

looks familiar to you?

AWOL

looks familiar to you?

Only vaguely.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Grumpy_Mike

Remember that the Mbed board is a subsidized development system, the price you pay is not cost price.

vasquo

Remember that the Mbed board is a subsidized development system, the price you pay is not cost price.

I don't know what you mean. Who's paying at cost price anyway?
People buying Arduino are not paying the cost price either.

Arduino uno dev board - $30 bucks or so, ATMEGA328 @ Mouser $3.00 each ($1.90 for 25pcs)

mBed freedom dev board = $12.95, LPC chip @ Mouser $8.50 each ($7.65 for 25pcs)

From the pricing above, it looks like mBed is more likely at cost price, while Arduino is way overpriced. 
(granted there are other supporting chips around, but you can see the big difference above).

of course, just buying the ATMEGA chip will be the cheapest solution and just breadboarding it or making your own board.

Grumpy_Mike

I don't know what you mean.

I mean that the board cost more than the asking price to manufacture and deliver with retail margin on it. So for every board sold the manufacturer is making a loss. They are using the advertising budget in order to raise the profile of that chip. The Arduino on the other hand is a commercial venture that has to pay its way along with paying for other things like this web site.

From the pricing above, it looks like mBed is more likely at cost price, while Arduino is way overpriced. 

I see you know very little about real semiconductor pricing. The price on Mouser or any other distributor for piddling little quantities has little relationship to the actual cost and has more to do with storage, packing and handling.

sja785

Feb 27, 2013, 03:50 pm Last Edit: Feb 27, 2013, 03:52 pm by sja785 Reason: 1

Why are you obsessing over using the Arduino? It's completely unnecessary. Just get a camera with a network interface, and give the Arduino a separate interface if it needs one as well.

Hi, I do not want to be misunderstood. Not really obsessed on using Arduino. Found that video camera and just wanted to know exactly the "why" it cannot be done with an arduino, why arduino could not simply pass through the output of the video camera. Now I have more answers. 

robtillaart

.. and just wanted to know exactly the "why" it cannot be done with an arduino, why arduino could not simply pass through the output of the video camera.

If you really really really really really want to know, build it and you will learn a lot!

In the Netherlands we have the Delta Works - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Works - that keep the sea out. All experienced water-engineers in the '50's told the government that such a dam couldn't be build. A group of young engineers, not hindered by knowledge, said lets do it and they invented machines (boats etc) to do things that were thought of as impossible. And now after 50 yrs it is still amazing to see the DW.
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Go Up