Go Down

Topic: Bluetooth RX and TX (Read 407 times) previous topic - next topic

encryptor

You can choose two pins from Arduino D0 to D7 as Software Serial Ports to communicate with Bluetooth Shield (D0 and D1 is Hardware Serial Port)

Source: http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Shield

Besides which pins they operate on, what is the difference between a Software Serial Port and a Hardware Serial Port?
peace*&^

PaulS

Speed, reliability, and how much they interfere with the other things your program is doing.

When SoftwareSerial detects that serial data is incoming, it blocks until the whole byte arrives. HardwareSerial only blocks until the bit arrives.

Depending on what else your program is doing, that may, or may not, make a difference.

encryptor

What is the difference between I2C and UART?  Is that asking the same question as above in different text?  How do I know when to choose between SPI and I2C?
peace*&^

PaulS

What is the difference between I2C and UART?

About the same as the difference between a tennis shoe and an elephant. That is they serve completely different purposes.

I2C is inter-chip communication. UART is for communicating with an external device.

How do I know when to choose between SPI and I2C?

You look at the device you want to communicate with. If it is a I2C device, SPI makes no sense. If it is a SPI device, I2C makes no sense.

Go Up