Go Down

Topic: Building an addressable LED strand with WS2801 (custom pcb) (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic

KirAsh4

Eh, that specific one seems a bit high yes.  There are others, just search for board headers, rectangle, 2.54mm pitch, 12 pins, 2 rows, SMD mount.

bograt

I might just try to find some bulk packs from china, might save me alot of money in the end...
So whats next? Is it important to know exactly what components to use before making the schematic?
btw, I have just got my 'led pixels' http://learn.adafruit.com/36mm-led-pixels/overview so I can finally start playing around with the code for the ws2801  :)

KirAsh4

No, the schematic is simply symbols.  Actual parts (as far as whether it's a through hole or SMD, and what size) is mainly done on the board side.  So either you figure out what parts you want to use and tell me, or I build the board and tell you what parts to get (this is what I normally do.)

Code for WS2801 is easy.  Download FastSPI and run the testleds sketch (after adding a setDataRate(2) delay before the .init() call.)

bograt

Ok,
When you say build the board, do you mean 'theoretically', or mean to actually build one?
I'm sure you would be better at picking the parts than me so maybe that's a better solution, the only parts I need for sure are the leds, apart from that I guess reasonably cheap smd parts are what I'm after,
not so fussed about the size... I have played around with some 0603 resistors, I can work with them no problem.
Code for WS2801 is easy.  Download FastSPI and run the testleds sketch (after adding a setDataRate(2) delay before the .init() call.)

will do, thanks

KirAsh4

No, I mean building one in Eagle.  Ready to go to a fab house of your choice.

Go Up