Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dual Boot  (Read 1255 times)
Italy
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello everybody.

I found a very interesting information about SAM3X8E and would like to share it:

The data sheet says (Page 41):

9.1.4 Boot Strategies
The system always boots at address 0x0. To ensure maximum boot possibilities, the memory
layout can be changed via GPNVM.
A general-purpose NVM (GPNVM1) bit is used to boot either on the ROM (default) or from the
Flash.
The GPNVM bit can be cleared or set respectively through the "Clear General-purpose NVM Bit"
and "Set General-purpose NVM Bit" commands of the EEFC User Interface.
Setting GPNVM Bit 1 selects the boot from the Flash, clearing it selects the boot from the ROM.
Asserting ERASE clears GPNVM Bit 1 and thus selects the boot from the ROM by default.
GPNVM2 enables to select if Flash 0 or Flash 1 is used for the boot.
Setting GPNVM bit 2 selects the boot from Flash 1, clearing it selects the boot from Flash 0.

If this is true maybe could be possible to have a firmware in Flash 0 that programs Flash 1 or vice versa.
That means that this firmware could interface potentially to any peripheral (Uart, CAN, USB Mass storage, Ethernet, etc)  to program new firmware, then write proper value in the GPNVM and restart booting from the flash area where the new firmware resides.
In this way it could be possible to program Arduino Due from any peripheral.

Thank everyone.

Egypt
View Profile

so now can i put Android on an outer storage(memory card) and then change the boot, to make my kit boot from memory card and install Android?? is it possible?

Italy
View Profile

Be careful spiceice, I said that maybe could be possible that Arduino due can perform In Application Programming (IAP) like your DSL router, not boot from a device.

I found something about flash programming on the Atmel Software Frameworkhttp://asf.atmel.com/docs/latest/search.html?board=Arduino%20Due/X, but I still don't know how to integrate in Arduino IDE.

Have a nice day.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: