Go Down

Topic: I hate RF ! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Boffin1

Even when I was a radio ham in the 60s, I hated RF.  I couldnt see it, and at 10watts on top band -  I couldnt feel it.

I could work out the exact length for an antenna, but then found you have to trim it afterwards !  I much preferred logic circuits, all true false and no maybes.

Some time later I worked on the Boeing 707, which had a horizontal whip that stuck out horizontally from the top of the tail, but was found to emit vertically polarised signals  !       I hate RF.

50 odd years later, I am using 433 MHz links in many projects.  I came up by accident with a fantastic whip antenna for the remotes, with which I get good range, and they cost the price of a BNC plug, plus 160mm of curtain expander wire, with a rubber bit on the end to save peoples eyes ..  It looks cool and can't be easily damaged.

At the receive end, I usually just have a 160mm or whatever length of wire behind a plastic LED display.

Now I have made some units that have the transmitter in a box behind the display, and I am assuming that the front of the display board will be Chromadek ( metal ) so I am fitting the antenna inside the display , and want to run a 1m length of RG174 coax to the transmitter behind.

The shield of the coax will be grounded at the TX end, but for the life of me I can't remember what to do at the antenna end in the display.
I can just let the centre wire stick out for 160mm,  or I could ground the shielding on some metal at that end.

Of course I can try it and see, but if there is a preferred method I would appreciate having my memory jogged  !

kg4wsv

depends on how much metal there is at the antenna mounting point.

If it's a metal box that is a significant portion on 1/4 wave, ground the coax on the box and use the box for your ground plane.  If you have much power, this could be unpleasant for the electronics inside. :|

-j

Boffin1

Thanks Guys,

I am only receiving, so there is no power this end, so perhaps I will use the case as a groundplane then ( I line half the plastic box of the remote with foil as a groundplane and it seems to work )

Telecommando, I am going to run out of box if I go 300mm high with a dipole, but thanks for the suggestion, its all bringing it back to me now ( I still hate RF !!! )

ex  G3STX

AWOL

433MHz would be closer to 17cm than 16cm, wouldn't it?
( 299,792,458 / 433x106) / 4 = 0.173 metres.
(I hate RF too)
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Boffin1

433MHz would be closer to 17cm than 16cm, wouldn't it?

Yes, I havnt measured it for a long time, I just chop it to the same length as a commercial one I keep handy   ( I suppose I had better measure it in case I lose it :-) )

Boffin1

Incidentaly,  I hate RF, but need to use it for my projects.

In the same way,  I hate Facebook, but have to use it to keep in touch with all the grandchildren !

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy