Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Where to get a Due or Raspberry Pi for Xmas gift  (Read 3279 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Look a little bit deeper under the skin.

And then look a bit deeper again past the hardware.

The thing that really differentiates the "Pi" from everything else in its hardware class is the user base and support. There have been about 400,000 Pis sold to date (last figure I saw), which compares with 300,000-odd Arduinos. Development is moving at a blistering pace. It's hard to believe they've been out for less than a year.

I've seen (and even own) dev boards with ARM SoC chips that are more capable than the Pi in terms of hardware (faster clock, more ram, more peripherals, more gpio pins), but as any Arduinoist knows, hardware without software makes an interesting conversation piece for the coffee table, or perhaps a nice paperweight.

Or to paraphrase a famous President: "It's the software (and user support base), stupid."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:09:54 pm by pico » Logged

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Edison Member
View Profile

My grandson won't have to share the family PC any more!

Maybe he can emulate windows on the pi from within linux and use it to program an avr.

smiley

Dallas, TX
View Profile

The thing that really differentiates the "Pi" from everything else in its hardware class is the user base and support. There have been about 400,000 Pis sold to date (last figure I saw), which compares with 300,000-odd Arduinos. Development is moving at a blistering pace. It's hard to believe they've been out for less than a year.

From the folks at Raspberry Pi Foundation:

...Model B (volumes are actually, we think, a bit higher than we’d calculated; Farnell told us yesterday that they’ve shipped 429,000 so far, and I don’t have current figures for RS, but they’ll be only a little lower)

So, it appears the Raspberry Pi population is approaching 1 million units, lending even more weight to your argument.

Edison Member
View Profile

it appears the Raspberry Pi population is approaching 1 million units,

Well, I tend to be skeptical of vendor claims.

But, to make an apple-to-apple comparison and given the Arduino model, you will have to compare Arduino-like devices vs. Pi after the same time since their introduction. I don't know how many Aruidno/Arduino-like devices have been sold but my sense is that its eco-system is far bigger than that of the Pi's.

But that comparison still misses the point: Roku2 vs. Pi.

Dallas, TX
View Profile

But that comparison still misses the point: Roku2 vs. Pi.

You are welcome to make the comparison.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Look a little bit deeper under the skin.

Interesting thread:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1016

So - apparently the Pi and the Roku 2 use the same SOC...

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Edison Member
View Profile

That thread is totally wrong: the Pi is to help people learn Linux and Roku to plave movies so they cannot possibly be related.

smiley

Now, the cat is out of the bag.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

That thread is totally wrong: the Pi is to help people learn Linux and Roku to plave movies so they cannot possibly be related.

smiley

Now, the cat is out of the bag.

I'd say a car and a riding lawnmower are different even though they both have seats, wheels, and an engine.

I'd even say a car and a semi are different even though they both go on highways. They're simply for different purposes and optimized for different things.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: