Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Questions on making a minimal/custom Arduino circuit @ 3.3v/8Mhz?  (Read 2137 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am stumped.
Send a pm to fat16lib, ask him to review this thread.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

sounds like a plan...

I'll be sad if this isnt even possible.. and Ive been spinning my wheels!  lol..

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

well I PM'd him.. and got a response..

although Im not sure it really applies to me? or if Im over thinking it..etc.etc..

but basically fat16lib responded that SD cards will work with +3.3v/8MHz boards...

he stated he uses one with the Pro-Mini..

and also said he uses this breakout board: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/544

which to me looks like a 'bare' bones SD socket on a pcb.. (which is good.. since I too have nothing on my SD card)

however.. it looks as if the Pro-Mini 'does' in fact use an external 8Mhz crystal on-board?

and I am using 8MHz INTERNAL clock??..

could this be where the problem lies?

I have changed out the MOSI/MISO/CS/CLK wires too just in case they were 'bad'... still same results..

I wanna hear from ANYBODY that has done this on an internal 8MHz clocked chip?

this is starting to kill my self-esteem!  hahaha  smiley-wink

thanks guys!

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I'm sure that what you are trying to do is possible. It should not matter whether you use a 8MHz crystal or 8MHz internal clock, the SD card does not have an internal time reference so it doesn't care what the exact clock speed is. I suggest:

1. With the SD card removed, run some sketches on your board to test it out. Include sketches that toggle the pins that you use to communicate with the SD card.

2. Check your connections between the mcu and the SD socket carefully, looking for open/short circuits.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

hmm..

Im baffled still then...

If the SD card doesnt matter about the clock (external/internal)..

then why isnt it possible?  (curious)..

fat16lib says he does it with pro-mini.. +3.3v & external 8Mhz crystal...  (stand alone SD socket..no caps/resistors..etc)

so to comment back it 'should' be possible..if others have done it? 

I have an LED on pin 13..and that works fine..  I can go through and check the other pins too (12, 11, 10).. to ensure they 'toggle'..(they should..its a brand new chip from the factory)

as far as connections..  its on a breadboard.. and I have replaced the jumpers wires once to check to see if bad connection

thanks!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: