Go Down

Topic: Help Finding LED Diffusion Cap (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic


I'm having trouble finding a specific part. It's a cap that sits snuggly on top of a 5mm LED. It's semi-transparent and acts as diffusion for the LED.

At the top there's also a little bump in the center. As if it had been ripped from another piece of plastic. Tried to show this in my drawing.

Here's a photo of it mounted on a faceplate

... and a shot from the back

And here's my diagram of what the part actually looks like.

Is anyone familiar with it? A link to a website where I could buy it would be SUPER AWESOME.



Led lens or Led mount,



A thin layer of hot glue works quite well...
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)


If you want the LED visible across a wider arc... at the inevitable price, however you achieve it, of at a lower brightness... then all you have to do is use a fine file or similar to flatten the end of the LED.


Thanks for the help everyone, but I'm actually building a replica of this device and I need the exact part.

I'm still baffled by it! I've hit up 3-4 electronics forums and no one seems to be able to track it down.

I have a good alternative lined up already using just simple semi-opaque laser-cut acrylic.

But I've added a bunch of neat new tricks to my book for how to diffuse an LED.

Another way is using 400 grit sandpaper or dipped the thing right into some white paint. I wouldn't really recommend either though haha.


I used to use sandpaper before I discovered hot glue.

Hot glue can be molded, too. Here's an LED 'candle' I made just by adding hot glue to a LED.

(The camera doesn't show it by that's actually a warm-white LED, in real life it's the same color as a candle flame...)

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)


Nov 30, 2012, 07:28 pm Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012, 08:09 pm by fungus Reason: 1

Did the original use LEDs or lamps? From the apparent age of the original, I'm guessing lamps.

I agree. It looks like it's from a time before LEDs.

The lamps are also a lot bigger than 5mm. Maybe what you need is something like a 10mm diffused off-white LED.

eg.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=10mm+diffused+warm+white+led

Edit: fixed the link...
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)


Try various searches at google images, you can quickly scan over 100s of images, and
may get lucky.



From another forum we've decided it's a crimp used by electricians called a butt splice.

The fact that it fits an LED is coincidental.

Still looking for a place to purchase them though.

The diameter is 3/8" at the top.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131