Go Down

Topic: installing a sensor system in an RV. ish. (Read 100 times) previous topic - next topic

jaxxor

Ok, so, im looking for some input on how to rig a new system.
But first an explanation of the project.

Using a 2002 school bus, im going to strip it down, and rebuild it as an RV.

Among the different sensors im planning to install (ideas welcome), these are what I have decided on thus far.

Grey water tank      Level and temp
white water tank      Level and temp
exterior temp and humidity
interior temp and humidity
carbon monoxide (or other harmful gasses) detector
networked smoke detector
tilt and level sensor (2? because its a big platform?)
digital oil temp sensor
battery   temp and charge
propane tank (cant permanently modify the tank itself) weight and temp
several water pressure sensors (leak detection of the water system)
circuit breaker trip detection ( work in progress )
Diesel tank quantity ( 2 tanks)
electrical load sensors for the dual 12.5v and 110v systems.

on top of all that info, i want to consolidate all the data into one central display system.
seems like a lot, i know.

my research as shown that perhaps an I2C bus would work well for this application.

Ill do my best to not only post photos of the project, but of the schematics as i design them as well.

Thanks for any input or advice.

Graynomad

May 31, 2016, 12:22 am Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:24 am by Graynomad
tilt and level sensor (2? because its a big platform?)
Why does it matter how large the platform is, if it's rigid then if one part is level so is the rest of it.

several water pressure sensors (leak detection of the water system)
If there is only one pressure system you only need one sensor as the pressure is the same all over the system.

IMO I2C is not suitable, it is designed for short runs, typically just on a single PCB although it can be extended to quite long lengths with appropriate buffer chips I admit.

I would look into serial over RS-485, RS-485 is designed for long runs in hostile environments like this.

FWIW I've been living in motorhomes for 15 years and built two of them

I don't see any mention of solar power, so I guess you are in the US as from what I've seen on forums solar is not very common there.

I even spent a lot of time designing an RS-485 network for just this application

http://www.ardweenet.com/

But couldn't get any support and lost interest.
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

weedpharma

propane tank (cant permanently modify the tank itself) weight and temp

The LPG tank would be fixed in position for safety. Why measure the temperature? They are designed for any atmospheric temperature. If it is too hot, it is because you are on fire!

Why would you need to know the temperature of the water tanks, especially the grey water? Unless you are planning to control the temperature of the tanks?

Weedpharma

jaxxor

Why does it matter how large the platform is, if it's rigid then if one part is level so is the rest of it.
I was primarily concerned with the flex of the chassis. while in theory it would be steady, i was unsure. ill settle with 1.

FWIW I've been living in motorhomes for 15 years and built two of them
Well, i might just PM you with a few questions about your set-up if you implemented a RS-485. ok, ok, a lot of questions.

I don't see any mention of solar power, so I guess you are in the US as from what I've seen on forums solar is not very common there.
While you are right, solar is not as common in the US, I intended to implement several solar panels with the initial build.
My reasoning for not bringing it up was because i didn't want to burden the community with unnecessary details about the power supply system that do not tie directly into any Arduino system.

Is that photo your current home? if so, im very curious about things about it that have nothing to do with Arduino.

Thanks for the link. ill investigate.

The LPG tank would be fixed in position for safety.
Very true, and it will be, just not pertinently (clamps). interchangeable propane tanks will help with any corrosion that might form on the tank itself.

Why measure the temperature?
Of the propane tank? Because if that sucker is hot, i wanna know, NOW. I debated just a smoke detector, but was concerned it might fault out with a gas fire / leak.

of the grey and white water tanks?  Im planning on venturing into cold weather, and will have tank heaters to keep the water above freezing, but want them to auto off when the ambient temp is slightly above freezing.

thanks for the thoughts, keep em coming.

Paul_KD7HB

Two thoughts. First, your propane tank will NEVER leak! Your piping may leak, or your connections to appliances may leak.

Second, you will defiantly need both a CO detector and a propane detector.

Paul

Graynomad

May 31, 2016, 10:51 am Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:52 am by Graynomad
Is that photo your current home? if so, im very curious about things about it that have nothing to do with Arduino.
Yes and no, we did live in it for many years. It's the same chassis but about 7 year sago I demolished the body and built a new one. The new one is smaller.

I was primarily concerned with the flex of the chassis.
And rightly so

Here we see me testing the twist. BUT, the body does not twist so (in my case at least) one level sensor is enough as I don't care what the chassis is doing.

Now bear in mind that I never implemented the network I mentioned, my truck does not have a single sensor to this day. It was a dream that I found too expensive to follow...or maybe I just moved on to other things :)

That said I would love to get it up and running, but on my finances I doubt it will happen.
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy