Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Battery Pack, individual cell voltage measurement  (Read 3057 times)
UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Nope, leastways I can't think of a way to use zeners.

If you just want to drop the voltage down the easiest way is to use 45 voltage dividers, all set to provide the best range possible for the voltage at that point in the battery string.

The voltage divider approach obviously loses resolution the further you need to drop the voltage - I don't know what resolution is needed here, but there must come a point where the voltage is so high that it isn't possible to achieve enough resolution.

I was thinking with the zener something like connecting each battery junction to a zener and then through a voltage divider to ground, the idea being that the zener would drop the voltage by a known constant amount to bring the voltage down to a range that can be measured, with no loss of resolution.

By the time you have several cells in series all with varying voltages the range of values that needs to be measured could easily exceed 5V hence the voltage dividers to reduce the range - still some loss of resolution due to the voltage dividers used for that, but nothing like as much as there would have been if dividers were used to drop the full voltage down to 5V.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile

Works for me!  This is the easiest solution for hardware.  Calibrating it using a DMM in the code will take some time and effort.

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I get the zener idea now (told you I was slow), but if each voltage divider is tuned to the voltage surely there's no loss of resolution anyway.

We haven't heard from the OP since post #7 so as is often the case we're talking to ourselves, still it's good to bounce some ideas around.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Florida USA
View Profile

Hello
Would the temperature coeff. of zener/avalanche diodes skew the accuracy ?
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/ldbutler/ZenerDiodes.htm
jolphil

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: