Go Down

Topic: Headers (Read 433 times) previous topic - next topic

Stolfa

I'm relatively new at breadboarding.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I find online, male headers that are meant to mount in a PCB that are say 6 mm pins on one end and 3 mm pins on the other.  Is there nothing similar that is 6 mm and 6 mm that I can use to mate a breadboard female socket to a female socketed ribbon connector?  Can't find such a thing.  Maybe it's not called a header.   Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Dave

michael_x

Good question!

I'm not sure if my two answers are "state of the art" :
- A piece of wire ( or of a metal paper clip )
- Remove the black plastic, which is probably meant for giving the proper .1" spacing and alignment of the header pins. giving you 2 more mm in pin length.

Stolfa

michael_x

Thanks.  I like your second idea of a crushed header.  I'll use that aproach.  I had hoped for something that retained the 0.1" spacing since the ribbon connector female connectors  I have do not.

Dave

Riva

On some of the cheaper headers you can push the pins through the plastic spacer. Would 4.5mm per side be enough?

majenko

Another option (which I have used before) is to take two headers and solder them together back to back.

Stolfa

Riva,

Brilliant!  I have some longer headers that were 3mm/11mm.  I just tried that and I now I have 7mm/7mm with the proper spacing.

Thanks,

Dave

fungus

I'm relatively new at breadboarding.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I find online, male headers that are meant to mount in a PCB that are say 6 mm pins on one end and 3 mm pins on the other.  Is there nothing similar that is 6 mm and 6 mm that I can use to mate a breadboard female socket to a female socketed ribbon connector?  Can't find such a thing.  Maybe it's not called a header.   Would appreciate any help.

The pins usually slide backwards are forwards easily (at least on the cheap ones...)

Or you could solder two of them back-to-back.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up