Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Headers  (Read 394 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm relatively new at breadboarding.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I find online, male headers that are meant to mount in a PCB that are say 6 mm pins on one end and 3 mm pins on the other.  Is there nothing similar that is 6 mm and 6 mm that I can use to mate a breadboard female socket to a female socketed ribbon connector?  Can't find such a thing.  Maybe it's not called a header.   Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Dave

Germany
Faraday Member
View Profile

Good question!

I'm not sure if my two answers are "state of the art" :
- A piece of wire ( or of a metal paper clip )
- Remove the black plastic, which is probably meant for giving the proper .1" spacing and alignment of the header pins. giving you 2 more mm in pin length.

View Profile

michael_x

Thanks.  I like your second idea of a crushed header.  I'll use that aproach.  I had hoped for something that retained the 0.1" spacing since the ribbon connector female connectors  I have do not.

Dave

Norfolk UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

On some of the cheaper headers you can push the pins through the plastic spacer. Would 4.5mm per side be enough?

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

Another option (which I have used before) is to take two headers and solder them together back to back.

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

View Profile

Riva,

Brilliant!  I have some longer headers that were 3mm/11mm.  I just tried that and I now I have 7mm/7mm with the proper spacing.

Thanks,

Dave

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'm relatively new at breadboarding.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I find online, male headers that are meant to mount in a PCB that are say 6 mm pins on one end and 3 mm pins on the other.  Is there nothing similar that is 6 mm and 6 mm that I can use to mate a breadboard female socket to a female socketed ribbon connector?  Can't find such a thing.  Maybe it's not called a header.   Would appreciate any help.

The pins usually slide backwards are forwards easily (at least on the cheap ones...)

Or you could solder two of them back-to-back.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: