Go Down

Topic: 16x2 lcd with UnoR3 probs (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

knuckles

Dec 10, 2012, 03:02 pm Last Edit: Dec 10, 2012, 03:16 pm by knuckles Reason: 1
he has the same problem as me, and i have noted the stern instructions that all the wires should be soldered to the LCD ,but having looked at the videos on youtube regarding  connecting UNO to LCD ,none of them are soldered ,just having wires plugged in to a breadboard and they are all working just fine !
so how do you explain that ?

here is one thats the same as mine except no hello world display

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qfZPYmIo94

NickPyner

The setup you show is exactly what one would expect There will be a pin row soldered to the LCD module and that is plugged into the solderless breadboard. The plug-in wires are then run to the pot and the Arduino.

knuckles

same as my setup is what you see here above

NickPyner

same as my setup

It probably isn't the same. His works, yours doesn't, and you can't see his wiring anyway. As I have said before, the wiring is probably where the problem lies, and that clip is no help. You should be able to use the hello world sketch that comes in the examples. You don't need to download anything, and certainly not the Freetronics sketch.

The standard sketch has all the details for the wiring and thus can be used with any 16x2 LCD. While the sketch is, like tronixstuff, usually seen for use with a shield, that is immaterial. Your breadboard serves the same purpose. The code is only interested in the Arduino pins. You have to connect the correct wires from the LCD  to them. There is a bit more about that here.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,136739.msg1027516.html#msg1027516

I think you are actually at an advantage with the bare LCD like yours. It is more flexible, and gives you more choice, than a shield.

floresta

Dec 10, 2012, 04:42 pm Last Edit: Dec 10, 2012, 04:45 pm by floresta Reason: 1
he has the same problem as me, and i have noted the stern instructions that all the wires should be soldered to the LCD ,but having looked at the videos on youtube regarding  connecting UNO to LCD ,none of them are soldered ,just having wires plugged in to a breadboard and they are all working just fine !

I think you are misinterpreting something, perhaps what has to be soldered.

If you reread reply #4 you will see that it says
"You must solder the connections to your LCD module."

In that case the LCD module has wires connecting the module to the breadboard while the video that you have submitted in reply #25 has pins connecting the module to the breadboard.

In reply #4 the connections (wires) are not soldered to the LCD module whereas in reply #25 the connections (pins) are soldered to the LCD module.

As you have correctly stated in both cases the wires (or pins) are simply plugged into the breadboard, not soldered.

Don

Go Up