Go Down

Topic: Solder paste vs. flux for reflow. (Read 4648 times) previous topic - next topic

szangvil

Dec 03, 2012, 01:46 pm Last Edit: Dec 03, 2012, 02:19 pm by szangvil Reason: 1
I want to try reflow soldering at home. I got a recommendation to use Kester EP256 solder paste.
Since I am only trying, I don't need so much. Where can I find solder paste in small tubes?
I looked on ebay for "solder paste" but all the results I get looks like flux (although it says "solder paste"). So how can I know if what I buy is just "flux" or "solder paste"?

Bottom line, I need a small tube of solder paste to try out reflow soldering. I prefer buying it on ebay...

johnwasser

Kester makes 35 gram (10cc) tubes:

7016070520  63/37 solder in no-clean flux  $36.75
7017080520 63/37 solder in water soluble flux  $36.75

Chip Quik Inc makes 15 gram (5cc) syringes that come with an application needle.

SMD291AX  $13.35

They also have 35 gram (10cc) syringes with needles.

SMD291AX10  63/37 solder  $19.85
SMD291SNL10  lead-free solder $22.31

Prices are from DigiKey.com
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

kg4wsv

The guy I bought from on ebay doesn't list any for sale currently.  He was repachaging into syringes and I think I got mine for around US$10 a couple of years ago; I'm still using it.

Be careful, because there's some confusion among some sellers (seems to be a translation problem, maybe) about the difference between "paste flux" and "solder paste".  Paste flux is just that, flux in a paste form (as opposed to liquid) - there's no solder in it.  Solder paste is solder with the flux mixed in.

I got some paste flux from deal extreme.  It worked, but was a bit stiff, and not easy to dispense.

If it doesn't come in a syringe, get yourself some syringes and some dispensing tips.  I bought something like this so I had room to experiment.  You want dispensing tips, not needles - needles are sharpened, dispensing tips are not.

-j

szangvil

Dec 03, 2012, 03:53 pm Last Edit: Dec 03, 2012, 04:00 pm by szangvil Reason: 1
Thanks for all the tips.
The magic phrase I was missing is 63/37... running a search with this phrase gives better results.
I ended up ordering this for around $5 and a set of 100 tips for $12.50 from here

xl97

FYI...

looks similar to the solder paste I have gotten from www.dealextreme.com

http://dx.com/p/mechanics-soldering-paste-50g-7952

(free shipping always).. shipping takes A LONG time to get to the US though.. not sure about Israel  :)

syringes too if you search.

if doing MANY boards.. maybe invest in a solder mask/stencil...

MarkT

Dec 03, 2012, 11:16 pm Last Edit: Dec 03, 2012, 11:18 pm by MarkT Reason: 1
BTW  Paste flux is used for soldering water pipes by plumbers - it is not rosin flux, it is highly acidic
and must never get anywhere near electronics - and must never be used without eye protection either.

[oh yes, and if you are going to use lead-based solder paste you'll should wear gloves since you don't
want to get it on your skin, its not easily removed by soap and water.  Lead-free solder paste is available]
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy