Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Solder paste vs. flux for reflow.  (Read 2649 times)
Israel
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I want to try reflow soldering at home. I got a recommendation to use Kester EP256 solder paste.
Since I am only trying, I don't need so much. Where can I find solder paste in small tubes?
I looked on ebay for "solder paste" but all the results I get looks like flux (although it says "solder paste"). So how can I know if what I buy is just "flux" or "solder paste"?

Bottom line, I need a small tube of solder paste to try out reflow soldering. I prefer buying it on ebay...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:19:19 am by szangvil » Logged

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Kester makes 35 gram (10cc) tubes:

7016070520  63/37 solder in no-clean flux  $36.75
7017080520 63/37 solder in water soluble flux  $36.75

Chip Quik Inc makes 15 gram (5cc) syringes that come with an application needle.

SMD291AX  $13.35

They also have 35 gram (10cc) syringes with needles.

SMD291AX10  63/37 solder  $19.85
SMD291SNL10  lead-free solder $22.31

Prices are from DigiKey.com

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Faraday Member
View Profile

The guy I bought from on ebay doesn't list any for sale currently.  He was repachaging into syringes and I think I got mine for around US$10 a couple of years ago; I'm still using it.

Be careful, because there's some confusion among some sellers (seems to be a translation problem, maybe) about the difference between "paste flux" and "solder paste".  Paste flux is just that, flux in a paste form (as opposed to liquid) - there's no solder in it.  Solder paste is solder with the flux mixed in.

I got some paste flux from deal extreme.  It worked, but was a bit stiff, and not easy to dispense.

If it doesn't come in a syringe, get yourself some syringes and some dispensing tips.  I bought something like this so I had room to experiment.  You want dispensing tips, not needles - needles are sharpened, dispensing tips are not.

-j

Israel
View Profile

Thanks for all the tips.
The magic phrase I was missing is 63/37... running a search with this phrase gives better results.
I ended up ordering this for around $5 and a set of 100 tips for $12.50 from here
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:00:59 am by szangvil » Logged

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

FYI...

looks similar to the solder paste I have gotten from www.dealextreme.com

http://dx.com/p/mechanics-soldering-paste-50g-7952

(free shipping always).. shipping takes A LONG time to get to the US though.. not sure about Israel  smiley

syringes too if you search.

if doing MANY boards.. maybe invest in a solder mask/stencil...

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

BTW  Paste flux is used for soldering water pipes by plumbers - it is not rosin flux, it is highly acidic
and must never get anywhere near electronics - and must never be used without eye protection either.

[oh yes, and if you are going to use lead-based solder paste you'll should wear gloves since you don't
want to get it on your skin, its not easily removed by soap and water.  Lead-free solder paste is available]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:18:37 pm by MarkT » Logged

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: