Go Down

Topic: Can you do DRQFN without a pick and place machine? (Read 540 times) previous topic - next topic

liuzengqiang

I am just curious. I want to make something small but don't know if DRQFN can be placed by hand. There seems to be no way to see if I get good alignment. Anyone did this by hand? Thanks.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

westfw

(Dual row QFN package)
Alignment-wise, if the outer pins are aligned, the inner ones will be too.
Paste placement might be fun.  Surface tension should help with positioning.
I wouldn't do it, though.

spycatcher2k

I have managed this type of package before, using a stencil cut from Mylar to lay the paste, and a hot air gun, Had to rework 3 out of 20, so it is manageable, but I don't like doing them.
Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design & Assembly work undertaken - Arduino repairs & testing - PM for details. PM me for non repair or testing, 1 to 1 support and I will charge you - beware!

liuzengqiang

OK thanks to you both. I might stay away from it for now. What I'm considering doing is to replace the 328P-AU with a 1284P on an Arduino NANO board. This would "upgrade" the SRAM and FLASH of a NANO footprint board. Who knows? Maybe there is market for it. The QTFP footprint 1284P gets very very close to the headers. If I have time, what I might try is to reduce the header pin hole's outer diameter to make some space.

Isaac96

Do not PM me for help. I will delete immediately.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

CrossRoads

I think I'd add the regulator and USB/Serial chip to a DIP package instead.  Need the space for the pins anyway, yes?
I  think separate works better, unless there's nothing else in your system. How many designs are just a Nano, and nothing else?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

liuzengqiang

I was just thinking about a nano upgrade, more SRAM and more FLASH. Not gonna really do it. Fall semester just started. I'll only maintain my data logger project.

Go Up