Go Down

Topic: Testing Motor Shield with CPU fan motors? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

encryptor

Dec 05, 2012, 01:33 am Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 01:54 am by encryptor Reason: 1
Is there anything against testing the arduino motor shield with CPU fans?  Reversing the polarity on the direction pin would cause my fan to spin backwards, right?  Could the reverse spinning hurt this type of motor?  Would the breaking feature work on these motors?

I have 2 computer CPU fans:
1 DC fan 12V, 2.1 watt, 0.18amp with only 2 wires (red, black)
1 DC Brushless 12V, 1.7watt, 0.14amp with 3 wires (red, black, yellow)

What is the yellow wire for?  Thanks. :smiley-roll-blue:
peace*&^

retrolefty

Is there anything against testing the arduino motor shield with CPU fans?  Reversing the polarity on the direction pin would cause my fan to spin backwards, right?  Could the reverse spinning hurt this type of motor?  Would the breaking feature work on these motors?

I have 2 computer CPU fans:
1 DC fan 12V, 2.1 watt, 0.18amp with only 2 wires (red, black)
1 DC Brushless 12V, 1.7watt, 0.14amp with 2 wires (red, black, yellow)

What is the yellow wire for?
I think it sends pulses out when the motor is turning so it can be used as a safety feedback signal, as in "I'm telling the motor to turn but I'm not receiving any pulses back from it" error detection method.
Lefty

Thanks. :smiley-roll-blue:

encryptor

Dec 05, 2012, 01:51 am Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 01:59 am by encryptor Reason: 1
Are they safe to use with the motor shield?  Does the reverse direction hurt this type of motor.  Or otherwise said, how can I tell if these motors are bi-directional? Can someone confirm retrolefty's last statement about the yelllow wire?  Does anyone use this in their projects?:smiley-mr-green:
peace*&^

retrolefty

Dec 05, 2012, 02:03 am Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 02:07 am by retrolefty Reason: 1

Are they safe to use with the motor shield?  Does the reverse direction hurt this type of motor.  Or otherwise said, how can I tell if these motors are bi-directional? Can someone confirm the last statement about the yelllow wire?  Does anyone use this in their projects?:smiley-mr-green:

Well most DC motors are bidirectional unless they have an internal diode across the motor terminals to suppress transients when turning off the motor (test with a multimeter for equal resistance with both polarities or use the diode test if your meter has one), however the fan air flow may only be optimum in one direction. So just buy a real cheap PC fan from E-bay or play with one from a Junker PC and see what you can do with it. A H-drive rated at 12volt or higher and a amp or higher should be fine I would think. Or do you expect some kind of guarantee that anything you try and do to the motor will be fine and not put your eye out?  ;)

Lefty

encryptor

Now that you mention it, what is the H-drive?  What is a H - Bridge? :smiley-zipper:
peace*&^

Go Up