Go Down

Topic: powering arduino uno (Read 446 times) previous topic - next topic

Aphra

Hi there,

This is a novice question but one I assume people will be able to help me with!! I want to use a ac-dc adapter to power my arduino uno when not connected to a computer. I will use a 0-12v variable voltage supply but how many Ma's do I need? amps how many amps?

Thanks

James C4S

Depends on how much current the hardware attached to the Arduino needs.

The Arduino itself is only 30-50mA.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Aphra

I am hooking it up to 4 ultra sonic sensors running at 25ma each - do I just add up the ampage? is that how it works? Sorry total novice here!

So 150 ma or so. I think 200ma is a standard for variable voltage would this be alright?

James C4S

Yes, 200mA is probably okay. I might recommend 500mA to match what your USB port provides. 
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

oric_dan

OP, I think you would do better with a fixed voltage wallwart, in the range 6V - 9V.
Also, note that the tiny surface-mount voltage regulator on the UNO board will overheat
if Vin is too high and you draw more than a couple 100 mA load.

Aphra

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.

Aphra

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy