Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Teensy 3.0: 48/96 MHz, Arduino Due: 84 MHz, ARM cellphones: 1-1.5Ghz. Why?  (Read 3582 times)
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Run fast enough and what do all those jumper wires do?

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

Run fast enough and what do all those jumper wires do?

I wouldn't think the external bus would run anywhere near the speed of the processor at the higher speeds.  For example, it seems you can only get 22Mhz out of the Raspberry Pi despite the relatively high (non-overclocked) clock speed of 700Mhz.  I would expect the 1-1.5Ghz processors I was talking about would have bus speeds around that too.  Instead, I am mostly interested in having such processors available for their relatively better computing power.

http://codeandlife.com/2012/07/03/benchmarking-raspberry-pi-gpio-speed/

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Back in the 80's I was shown a circuit that ran over 100 Mz where if one short wire between two contacts was bent to one side the circuit worked but if it was bent the other way it didn't and if a shorter piece that went direct was used the circuit didn't work either. The EE who showed me that just shrugged and shook his head, it wasn't his circuit.

I'm sure there's many circuits I might build that won't take anywhere near that speed without showing some kind of problem.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: