Go Down

Topic: SSD1289 : question about the RD pin (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

floresta

Ok I ask this because if they haven't connected it to a useable pin when designing that shield, that's probably for a good reason no?

To avoid unnecessarily tying up an Arduino I/O pin for a capability that is rarely used. 

Don

guix

Docedison I don't want to use that RAM as additional memory. I've though about doing this but then it will draw weird things on the display :)

Indeed I could store in variables what I write to the display, but then it require up to 320*240*16 bits, that is 150 kB... Hence my need to read data back. Hopefully, I won't constantly read from that RAM, only when needed.

And I already have code to read GDDRAM, thanks to the ArduCam library author(s), the only thing missing is an useable RD pin :)

To avoid unnecessarily tying up an Arduino I/O pin for a capability that is rarely used.

I could agree but that shield is blocking like 6 unused pins on Arduino's 36 pins connector, so they could have used them anyway, also they wasted Arduino's pins 0 and 1, the F_* pins of that shield exists just in case I want to solder a tiny additional Flash chip on the display board. Confusion again, because they wired only 2 of those F_* pins, the 3rd one isn't wired anywhere -_-

dhenry

they could have used them anyway

Not a whole lot of thoughts went into designing those products.

floresta

Not a whole lot of thoughts went into designing those products.

Well we can be pretty sure that SainSmart is not the party to blame.

Don

pYro_65

Hi guix, just wondering how it went, did you manage to use the RD pin on the shield?
I have made a simple oscilloscope using the screen and I want to save some screen shots.

Also, is there a link to the specs of the tiny flash chip you mention. This display is pretty impressive, nice gaming potential.

Go Up