Go Down

Topic: Arduino Leonardo homemade (Read 670 times) previous topic - next topic

ashleyhughes

Hi all,

I have done a bit of googling with out much luck. I want to see if it is possible to use an atmega32u4 as a keyboard interface for some CNC mills to jog the mill etc.

I am wondering other than the atmega32u4 it self and a voltage regulator a crystal & other passives. What other parts are necessary is it like the old atmega328 which only requires the above?

I recently got the Arduino Leonardo and it is working well. I need to get about 10 made up for the lowest cost possible (of course). I can get a board fabricated and place the parts my self. I also have an AVR programmer handy to burn the boot loader.

Looking for examples if anyone has seen someone using an atmega32u4 in a home made style board.

Thanks for any input.
HughesY.net/wp my Arduino blog

Coding Badly

Is this over budget...
http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy.html

I want to see if it is possible to use an atmega32u4 as a keyboard interface for some CNC mills to jog the mill etc.

Do the CNC mills have a USB connector for the keyboard or a PS/2 connector (or something else)?

ashleyhughes

The mills are controlled by a PC through parallel or usb depending on the model. The keyboard needs to work through USB.

The teensy looks nice pretty much what I was after but I want to make it my self though. That will allow me to hook a few other features on to the same board i.e. the emergency stop button which goes into the motor controller board.

wizdum

The mills are controlled by a PC through parallel or usb depending on the model. The keyboard needs to work through USB.

The teensy looks nice pretty much what I was after but I want to make it my self though. That will allow me to hook a few other features on to the same board i.e. the emergency stop button which goes into the motor controller board.

You could make a PCB with a socket on it that the Teensy plugs in to.
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

dc42

I suggest you download the Leonardo schematic from the main site and base your design on that, leaving off the bits you don't need e.g. either the USB power feed-through transistor or the voltage regulator (depending on how you intend to power it) and the LEDs.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

ashleyhughes

I suggest you download the Leonardo schematic from the main site and base your design on that, leaving off the bits you don't need e.g. either the USB power feed-through transistor or the voltage regulator (depending on how you intend to power it) and the LEDs.

Thanks I did not think about that. I will have a look at the circuit diagrams and work off that.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy