Go Down

Topic: Laser Lissajous with Audio Sync using Arduino (clone) and Python (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I'd like to submit a project that I recently completed.

This project uses a laser pointer and a couple of motors with attached mirrors to display patterns (lissajous figures) that are in sync with music. The audio data is processed by a Python script that extracts frequency information, converts that to motor pulses and send it to the Arduino (clone) via the serial interface.

I have a complete write-up here, which also has a video:

It may be pretty, but I would challenge your claim that it is a Lissajous figure.

A Lissajous pattern is created by two sinusoidal waveforms with a 90 degree phase shift.

This gives various patterns depending on the interaction of the two sine waves and their phase relationship.

A 2 to 1 relationship, for example would result in a figure of eight shape.

Whereas, your project, although interesting, is not going to show this, just a circular pattern that jumps around in an irritating manner.

I did something similar in 1985 using DC motors and PLL to control the phase between the 2 motors so the spirograph image will remain stable.  How can I do this today using stepper motors?  It would be jerky? 
If you fall... I'll be there for you!

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Isn't there a way you could tune it? The output appears to be too random for it to accurately represent a musical interpretation. Sorry to add to the Debbie Downer list.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131