Go Down

Topic: Wireless transmission with piezoelectric sensor (Read 396 times) previous topic - next topic

ubath

Hi All,

I need to measure vibration data from a piezoelectric sensor and send the signals via wireless transmission. Then, the time histories should be read the from my PC  (possibly) using a software application. The sampling time I set is around 10 kHz with approximately 8000 samples recorded.

Anyone knows if Arduino deals with such a problem or has anyone done something similar? If yes, any suggestion would be really helpful!!!

Naturally, if you need more information, just let me know.

Thanks,

Francesco

Grumpy_Mike

time I set is around 10 kHz

That is rather excessive, you have a job to get anything mechanical to vibrate that fast.
You are pushing it using that data rate with an arduino.
Remember you only have 2K of memory to store samples in.

ubath

Hi,

maybe my initial message was not clear, what I need to do is to collect data from a PZT sensor with frequencies in the range up to 2-4 kHz. 10 kHz is just the sampling frequency used to avoid aliasing (in this case Nyquist frequency is 5 kHz). The number of samples used is around 8000. Then the signal acquired should be sent using wireless transmission, so I guess the piezoelectric sensor should be attached to the wireless board.

Most of application I have found for wireless systems use thermal data, which are of the order of hundred Hz of sampling frequency (much lower compared with vibrations).

Do you think that Alduino can be used for my purpose?

Grumpy_Mike

maybe my initial message was not clear,

It was the same as I understood it to be.

The number of samples used is around 8000.

So given that your sample is 10 bits, that is 8000 x 10 = 80000 bits of storage.
Assuming you can pack them efficiently that gives you a memory storage requirement of 80000 / 8 = 10000 bytes or 10K
Now on a machine with 2K of RAM to store it in how are you going to do that?

At the lease you will need some form of external memory.

Do you think that Alduino can be used for my purpose?

Not very easily.

PeterH

I need to measure vibration data from a piezoelectric sensor

What measurements are you trying to take? If you're trying to digitise and record the analog wave form, the amount of data involved would be a problem. In that case you might be better off using an audio input to a PC. But that is not what you mean by 'measurement'.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up