Go Down

Topic: Working with an ATMega1284 (Read 41 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm getting some blank 1284's in the mail today, and I just want to confirm that I'll be able to use them with Arduino Code/IDE just like a 328?  I'll plan to use Nick Gammon's bootloader (which it seems works with the 1284), and then I should be able to upload code using an empty (chip removed) UNO and connecting TX, RX, VIN, GND, and Reset, right?

Anyone have any other advice or insights into using a 1284?

You will need to install the core (can be done manually our using board manager, see the Arduino on other avr chips page for the url. On phone, so I can't easily get a link in here)

You can also use a usb serial adapter instead of a chip-less uno. Just make sure it brings out the dtr pin. They're a few bucks each on eBay, and way smaller than a while uno board...
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
ATtiny 841/1634/828/88/861/167 breakouts, mosfets, touch sensors and prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

You need to modify your IDE. I would recommend a separate FTDI USB adapter and caps + crystal. There are several issues using 1284P but a few of us, CrossRoads, Jack Christensen, myself, and some other, have experience with it.

Jack's 1284p mod for Arduino IDE

Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131