Go Down

Topic: Converting Binary from a Sensor into decimal (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Richard_N

Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 am Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 01:04 am by Richard_N Reason: 1
I have a temperature sensor which will be presenting data in the serial monitor.

To convert from the raw data the eqn is as follows:

T = C x 2n

C = the sensor output in decimal ( the output is a 9bit and I have it in the form of a 16 bit integer)
n is defined by what resolution you are getting from the sensor ( 9, 10, 11, 12) in my case n = -1

My question is this how do I convert my integer "temp" into a decimal to then use in this formula.

Thanks

Richard_N

That will multiply the binary value by 0.5 though, do I not need to convert it to decimal first?
Or does the later serial print do that for me?

Thanks

PeterH

Dec 13, 2012, 01:14 am Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012, 01:16 am by PeterH Reason: 1
Decimal is a way of representing a number textually, it is not an attribute of the integer value. If you have the temperature value as a 16-bit integer as you say, then you need simply multiply it by your constant (2^-1) to get the result. And that calculation is not going to be too complicated.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Delta_G

A number is a number whether you write it in binary or decimal or whatever.  To humans it is different.  To mathematical operations it is not. 

In decimal, 2 * 2 = 4

In Binary  10 * 10 = 100

In roman numerals  II * II = IV

There's no difference in any of it as far as the mathematical operation is concerned. A computer can only use binary representations no matter what.  Save converting to decimal until you have something you want to show to a human. 
Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo.  So little time - so much to know!  ~Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy