Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Best Entry-Level GPS Unit  (Read 796 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey all,

I'm working on an Arduino-based quadcopter project and want to add routing abilities to my project. I already have a slew of sensors up and working, so that leaves GPS.

Can someone recommend a relatively inexpensive, entry-level GPS unit? I'd prefer a shield, but any sort of rig works. I've been through SparkFun's collection, but was having a bit of trouble deciphering all the information.

I understand that the territory comes with a bit of a price tag, but I'm hoping to find something that works that doesn't completely eat my wallet.

Thanks in advance!

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

but I'm hoping to find something that works that doesn't completely eat my wallet.
You just need a bigger wallet.

View Profile

but I'm hoping to find something that works that doesn't completely eat my wallet.
You just need a bigger wallet.

That may be true... Have you had a particularly favorable experience with a particular device?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Have you had a particularly favorable experience with a particular device?
No. All I can tell you about GPSs is 1) don't get them wet and 2) don't drop them at 60mph. Neither thing is really good for them.

I have a whole pile of non-functioning GPSs from being dropped, gotten wet, gotten smashed, etc.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

I used the UP501 for a dozen projects, as it was so cheap here in South Africa,  ( $14 )  but when I tried to order again last month, they said that was an old batch and the new ones are now $38 !

They are easy to use though.

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have had good luck with these guys http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maestro-Wireless-Solutions/A2035-H/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsozux2%2fwCmWzf0tcKPfaAL

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

From PaulS experiences, perhaps you can make an umbrella/parachute for the gps module :-)

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

From my experience running a team of engineers that developed, productionized, fielded, and supported a UAV system in a combat zone I have found GPS modules to be amazingly robust when it comes to mechanical shock.  I have seem small UAVs landed into a concrete wall at full throttle and fly the same electronics in the same or another bird by a simple swap out.  Note: UAV engineers often use the term land where a customer might make the mistake of saying crash.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: