Go Down

Topic: Seperate IC to Count Pulse Input? (Read 7599 times) previous topic - next topic

ttamnworb

I was searching for a similar chip myself, for a very similar problem.  Whilst I was reading the post I though about connecting the counter chips to something like a Microchip MCP23008 or MCP23S08, which are 8 bit IO Expanders with either an I2C or SPI interface.  I have used them from a Netduino before and they are very easy to use.  You can power them up and down from a single Arduino port and then 2 more for the I2C interface.  There is also a 16bit version, but I haven't got that to work yet.

jblane001

Any progress on this front?  I've been reading this thread going "Oh yeah!" thinking you were all getting close to something I need; an I2C event counter (could also be a decade counter etc.)

I'm making a rain gauge for an Arduino platform weather station.  Have most of the bits put together, but as I completed the anemometer with a Hall effect sensor, I thought this would be better with a decade counter attached that I could read.  Not finding one, I completed the project using a polling approach to see how long a revolution took. 

Now that the anemometer is done, I've turned my attention to the rain gauge and I think I really need something with a "memory" for this.  I can't sit around and see how fast the water is falling, I need to record it as it falls, using a two bucket design, and then transfer the total and clear periodically.  This approach seems so obvious, I can't figure out why no one has done it yet. 

I'm looking at the I/O expander chips (MCP23017 and their ilk) and I could do this, but I still need a counter that will work nicely with them.

gismo

I kind of gave up on this for a while, but might pick back up on this project. It was working without a crystal but values were inaccurate.

Go Up