Go Down

Topic: How to bootload/program an atmega328p at 1.8v (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

philipm

I've designed a circuit around the atmega328p and a number of 1.8v devices. They are only tolerant of 2v max on the supply. When in operation it will use a single AA/AAA and boost converter to provide a constant 1.8v.

My question is - how do I bootload/program the atmega328p? All my previous circuits were 5v tolerant, so I could simply use an arduino to load the bootloader and then use a FTDI clone (both at 5v).

I don't want to add line level conversion to the circuit if I can help it! Is there an alternative/standard/simple way to bootload/program?

johnwasser

If your processor is socketed you can pull it from your circuit, plug it into an Arduino and program it there.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

philipm

Alas it's a size sensitive design, so based on the TQFP-32.

I can't imagine I am the first to encounter this, yet I can't seem to find a solution out there...

retrolefty

Alas it's a size sensitive design, so based on the TQFP-32.

I can't imagine I am the first to encounter this, yet I can't seem to find a solution out there...

And your not likely going to find one in my opinion. You have to deal with the electrical logic voltage level difference between whatever USB serial convert device (or cable) you are using and the 1.8vdc logic your chip is using. The 0/5vdc output from the converter to your boards rec pin is pretty simple, just use a 2 resistor voltage divider to cut the voltage down to 1.8vdc. However amplifying your 1.8 Tx signal to the serial converters 5volt logic rec pin is not as simple, you required a voltage increase with no logic inversion to meet the requirement.

Lefty

DirtBiker

Could you not build  level shifter board and use ISP?
Dirt Biker

Go Up