Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: SSR - zero cross trigger  (Read 1038 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hi there i am new in the community, sorry for my english.

i just read this topic http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,10437.0.html and i learn a bit about SSR with zero cross trigger  as control method. Well here is the question i want control a water-pump ( 13A, 60Hz , 1HP,... ) and 2 exractors ( each 6.6 A  ) from this http://www.fotek.com.tw/pdf/etc_33.pdf  i chose a SSR-25DA model, but i am just 95% sure  about buy this, and i want be 100%. Can u tell me if i can control turn on/off the water-pump and the extractos with 2 SSR-25DA  when i want from my arduino MEGA???  and what about this  zero cross trigger method how many dealy will cause?? i read this method is for protection.

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

These should meet your need - but there is no guarantee.  The delay will be a maximum of one half cycle, so at 60Hz this would be around 0.008seconds.

View Profile

hi there thx for reply what u mean with no guarantee ? smiley-eek, i mean i need to know jejejej, and how u calculate the dealy

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

By "no guarantee" I mean I have given you my opinion only.  As writers on this forum we only give opinions - most, hopefully, are technically correct but occasionally some are incorrect.

The device operates at zero cross-over point.  In any full cycle there are 2 cross-overs, 0 degrees and 180 degrees.  Assuming your trigger has just missed a cross-over, the turn-on will not occur until the next one, which will be just under one-half cycle into the future.  At 60Hz the period is 1/60seconds = 16.666 mS, so 1/2 cycle period is 8.333 mS.  Hence, if you just miss a cross-over point, the next one will be a maximum of 8.333 mS away (ie the delay time)

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Inductive loads such as motors and probably your pump should be controlled by random-fire SSRs, not zero-crossing ones. A zero-crossing SSR feeding an inductive load will turn off prematurely part way through each half cycle of power.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

dam  smiley-sad-blue, i just bougth one SSR-25DA , so it will not work  for the water pump ?    maybe can work both extractors?, or one at least? (each extractor work with 6A),  :? ,

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

It might work, it depends on how inductive the water pump is. If it doesn't, try connecting a 100W incandescent light bulb in parallel with the water pump and see if that improves things.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

well thx the ssr is in coming soo y will test, maybe if i give all the info about the water pump and extractors u can said more about the inductive thing?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: